Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has battery powered mowers or other equipment improved enough to be worth using?

I have a DeWalt chainsaw and really like it. I gave away my similar sized had chain saw

I searched but never found any recent threads on the subject.

·
Banned
288 Posts
I have a EGO 21" self-propelled mower that I have used HARD for about 3 years now. Great mower and has given me no problems at all. I can't attest to battery life because I only use mine to mow a smallish area around our pool that takes about 30 minutes to mow. But I do mow this area every 3-4 days (mulching) from March to November.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Mean Green commercial line of electric mowers are legit. I just demo'd the Nemesis (residential version) last week, was pretty impressed with it. If I was going that route I'd opt for the commercial EVO or Rival as I put about 300 hours a year on mine.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Depends on the tool. Handheld blowers and small trimmers, maybe. Anything else, no.

They can’t replace backpacks, 25cc+ trimmers, hedge trimmers, mowers (push, walk behind or ZTR), edgers, or chainsaws of any size and bar length.

The problem is the lack of runtime, lack of power, or both. With many battery tools, it’s either power or runtime, not both like what the gas equivalent delivers.

The whole environmentally-friendly thing is BS too, because pollution creates from manufacturing the batteries is abysmal. Not to mention the fact that the batteries themselves only last a couple years, which repeats the cycle all over again

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You couldn’t get me to buy a battery powered anything that is still offered with an internal combustion engine.
We really like our chain saw, blower, drill and weed whacker.

We still have our Stihls. And I am probably going to have to buy a bigger chain saw due to the prices we got on dropping a 100 year old Ash tree.

·
Registered
24,783 Posts
Theres no reason you couldn’t run drywall screws in with it. I agree, not the best tool choice, but it’s still a drill. I remember running drywall screws in with a corded drill. Or nails...
They make actual drywall screw guns that have a clutch that only engages when pressure is applied at the front. Those are what I am referencing as they are made specifically for that use, but yes, you could run them in with a corded or gas powered gun. Not sure how long you'd want to use the gas powered gun in an enclosed room though LOL

I've had a Dewalt drywall screw gun for about 30 years now.

·
Registered
312 Posts
They make actual drywall screw guns that have a clutch that only engages when pressure is applied at the front.

I've had a Dewalt drywall screw gun for about 30 years now.
Yes, I have a self feeding drywall screw gun. I’m aware.

And I sincerely doubt you’ve had a DeWalt drywall screw gun for 30 years. They haven’t been building them that long. Unless you are saying you had some sort of corded version in the 90’s. I’d still be skeptical. I remember when those were new and very expensive. Pretty sure that was in the 2000’s. I’ve probably had my screw gun over ten years (maybe 15), and it was one of the first cordless screw guns.

·
Registered
24,783 Posts
Yes, I have a self feeding drywall screw gun. I’m aware.

And I sincerely doubt you’ve had a DeWalt drywall screw gun for 30 years. They haven’t been building them that long. Unless you are saying you had some sort of corded version in the 90’s. I’d still be skeptical. I remember when those were new and very expensive. Pretty sure that was in the 2000’s. I’ve probably had my screw gun over ten years (maybe 15), and it was one of the first cordless screw guns.
Be skeptical all you want, but don't imply I may be a liar. I have had this corded Dewalt screw gun since 1992 or 3. I never said a thing about self feeding screw guns, but they weren't that expensive either, especially for the time you could make with one. You must be pretty young to not know how long most of those things have been around, including self feeders. Drywallers have been using the corded versions since the early 80's that I am personally aware of. They weren't that expensive even back then. No more than a corded drill and certainly much less than many other power tools used by the trades back then. My entire main career was spent in construction. I know a little bit about it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Be skeptical all you want, but don't imply I may be a liar. I have had this corded Dewalt screw gun since 1992 or 3. I never said a thing about self feeding screw guns, but they weren't that expensive either, especially for the time you could make with one. You must be pretty young to not know how long most of those things have been around, including self feeders. Drywallers have been using the corded versions since the early 80's that I am personally aware of. They weren't that expensive even back then. No more than a corded drill and certainly much less than many other power tools used by the trades back then. My entire main career was spent in construction. I know a little bit about it.
Oh, I’m not young. I may not be as old as you are implying you are, but I’m not young.
And I specifically said “unless you are talking about corded versions”. This thread was about battery powered equipment, not corded tools. You never said you had a corded version, so I assumed battery power. Get off your high horse there, chief. No one is calling you a liar. But I am old enough to know far too well how time gets away from oneself and how sometimes things happened longer ago than they seem, while sometimes ten years ago seems like twenty. It’s easy to forget how long 30 years ago really is, and what we had. Hard to believe we all talked on (mostly corded) land line phones back then. Left to work for the day and came home when we were done and nobody worried. Different world now.

Never thought I’d be a middle age man with gray hair and still have to deal with being labeled “young”! 🤣

·
Registered
24,783 Posts
I am not on any high horse but I tend to get fired up rather quickly when someone implies I am lying about anything with their statements like you did by saying that "even then you'd be skeptical". I remember 30 years ago just fine. I know when I bought this tool and for exactly what reason. I remember 10 years ago just fine too. You may not remember your youth well and that's fine with me. I wouldn't take a shot at you over it either. I know what I bought and when.

It doesn't matter that I didn't say my gun was corded. I simply stated that they had them that long ago in post #13 as you didn't seem to be aware of it with your comments before that to me. You assumed what you wanted to and you know what they say about assuming. You started making this personal in post #14. If anyone is on their high horse it would be you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts