Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, we believe that using battery trimmers costs about 6x less compared to gas 2cycle. Your mileage may vary based on electrical costs and fuel costs.

that said, for us, we are estimating it saves $350 per season for a 3 man crew, 30 weeks of service. We think the Saved fuel is somewhat similar to a battery life cycle, so we are not finding that much savings after battery replacements are considered. We think supplying 6 - 5 amp 56 volt batteries gets us close, and 3 year is likely the average reasonable life span for a battery, although it varies a lot

the savings is in parts, repair, down time. That could also change if the tools life cycle is longer because of less vibrations and constants, hard to say.

your biggest cost consideration might be how to get the necessary power to your charging location. You might need a dedicated 20 amp outlet unless you want to be creative or babysit the charger. Keeping the chargers and batteries on the trucks is best, even if charging overnight, but then you need to consider how fare your truck is from the outlet.

just feeding some information for those that are interested.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These numbers appear to be based on Ego trimmers, would you think the numbers vary greatly based on brand/platform? You’ve mentioned ego being best dollar/watt hour.
I think the overall amount of watts you need per day is not likely to change by a lot. The dollar cost per battery might vary and that might change your break even numbers.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
I bought an Echo 2500 blower this season for dry days on mow and blows. I have ZERO illusions that the extra expense of buying that machine plus its batteries vs measly fuel savings is going to save me any money at all over the long term. None, nada, zip. I bought it simply for ease of use on hot days....no pulling cord and hard starting blowers. Thats it.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
I burn through 6 gallons of mix every 2 to 3 weeks as a solo operator.
Yeah I'd say I do about a gallon and a half a week. Less late season when trimming starts to poop out (thank the Lord)

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Here we go again………
I love it when an electric equipment premise is stated and then the premise is not backed up with any hard numbers for comparison and the summary is YMMV!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a solo operator a 2.5 gallon jug of mix last me the better part of the season.
I don’t mean this in a bad way, but to me it means your mowing wide open fields, or your not booked solid with jobs that require line trimming. If we ran solo operators, we would still burn though 2.5 gals in a week. More with a crew.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love it when an electric equipment premise is stated and then the premise is not backed up with any hard numbers for comparison and the summary is YMMV!!
Then don’t read the post. What difference would it make if I gave you all of the numbers, your numbers would be different than my own. Your gas and electricity costs are different. The only constant (which I stated) is that a 3 man team might need around 1700 watt hours per day. A 56 volt/5amp hour battery costs 4.5 cents to charge. We need 6 of them on average. They last 3 years and cost around $190-$200 to replace depending on if you buy them with a tool.

I wasn’t putting the info on here to impress or convince anyone. Just putting my findings after running 3-5 years , with 6-7 crews in the field. We think we have some decent numbers and averages to work off of, in a somewhat scientific long term test rather than a single guy that tried one unit and liked it or didn’t.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought an Echo 2500 blower this season for dry days on mow and blows. I have ZERO illusions that the extra expense of buying that machine plus its batteries vs measly fuel savings is going to save me any money at all over the long term. None, nada, zip. I bought it simply for ease of use on hot days....no pulling cord and hard starting blowers. Thats it.
That’s probably very fair to say and a decent reason to own one.
We also don’t buy them to save money or to save the environment. We purchase them because of long term health of our employees, happier clients due to reduced noise, and so fare we notice a massive difference in the workload of our mechanic which does have a savings.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Battery trimmers cost 6x less to power.
Your headline above states^^^^^.

that said, for us, we are estimating it saves $350 per season for a 3 man crew, 30 weeks of service. We think the Saved fuel is somewhat similar to a battery life cycle, so we are not finding that much savings after battery replacements are considered
^^^^^^^ then you state after battery replacement there really is no savings. So if your being honest, there is no savings. Then why does your headline say (6 times less to fuel) ?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Battery trimmers cost 6x less to power.
Your headline above states^^^^^.

^^^^^^^ then you state after battery replacement there really is no savings. So if your being honest, there is no savings. Then why does your headline say (6 times less to fuel) ?
EXACTLY!!!! WHICH is why I responded as I did. Then I was told, "Then don't read the post"! IF there was a battery unit that was cheaper to run that gave the same performance, I'd buy it! I used my 18v Bosch saw yesterday to assist in removing rotten stumps because dirt dulls chains quick. It did as I expected it to do. It was much slower and the battery went from 5 to 1 bars in 20 minutes of heavy off and on use and it got hot. BUT, it allowed me to get full use of the chain by not having to cut through dirt. I'm not anti-battery, I'm anti-Bulls&^t on posts like what @grass man 11 put up to try and enforce a "narrative" about battery run equipment. That seems to be the way most of these types of threads go which is why @Mattster posted what he did, and I laughed, because he's right and the OP didn't not fail to deliver!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I converted a walk behind mower to propane one time. Just thought I'd say that, don't know how its relevant.
Man, I betcha doing it was a gas!!

1 - 20 of 317 Posts