Be Careful around PTO's

YellowDogSVC

LawnSite Gold Member
Another accident involving a PTO from what I gathered in the story. Not a very good report on what happened but we should all know the dangers of moving machinery, loose fitting clothes, or getting too close to a PTO that is spinning.

Dec. 30 2011
SEGUIN - A contractor was seriously injured Friday morning while working on a shredder on Interstate 10.

Seguin Police Officer Mark ZuaZua said Eduardo Rojas, 24, of Waco was working on the industrial-sized shredder around 8:15 a.m. on the south side of the interstate between Highway 46 and Austin Street.

"Those are not regular shredders, they are industrial-sized, with an axle on top of the equipment that spins at a high rate of speed," he said. "As the victim was working on his equipment, his arm got too close to the axle and he got caught in it."

The axle pulled Rojas into the shredder which caused some serious injuries, ZuaZua said.

Seguin Fire Battalion Chief Rusty Krueger said the injuries were life threatening and that Rojas was taken by AirLife to BAMC.

The victim worked for a company that was contracted by the state to cut the grass along the highway, ZuaZua said

LoweJ82

LawnSite Senior Member
Have a friend that lost his arm in a farming accident, Was doing something around a pto shaft and it caught his shirt sleeve and pulled him in and ripped it of.

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
Remember that many accidents are from Complacency. You work around the same machine all day it's easy to forget how dangerous it really is.
Posted via Mobile Device

7.3 Rocket

LawnSite Member
Woman at the livestock auction was almost killed by a PTO shaft. It caught her sweatshirt and pulled her arm in. It started to tighten it around her neck as well which is how it almost killed her.

OP
YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC

LawnSite Gold Member
You have to have a healthy dose of respect around machines and trees just to name a couple of things..
I've worked around guys who will climb a tree without a safety harness.. You can do it 100 times but the 101st may get you killed. I see the same with machines. Guys working without eye protection around chippers or standing on infeed tables to cut tangled brush.:nono:

I am not perfect but I am very deliberate about where I dismount my skid when I'm mulching if that rotor head isn't stopped.. I usually try and stop it before getting near anyone or getting out. Same thing with chipper. If I leave the operator's station, I disengage feed wheels. It amazes me how many times I have to stop and give my safety lecture to guys I hire. Safety glasses, load from the side, etc.. don't reach in and get PULLED IN! They still do it and if I have to tell someone more than a couple of times they don't get to work anymore. Like I said, you can do it 100 times but it's that one time that is unforgiving and will get you seriously injured or killed.

I posted this for the guys who may not be as experienced as some of us older pros. We can all learn from horrific stories like the one I posted. This work is dangerous whether you are operating a Scag or JD and batwing.. It's all dangerous..

Hope we are all prosperous and safe in 2012..

Scag48

LawnSite Fanatic
It's unfortunate, that's for sure. Gotta use your brain in this line of work, everything can and will kill you. I had a bar come back at my face last March, needed a little dental work after that. It takes getting bit only once before you realize just how easy it is to get complacent and let your guard down.