• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Be careful out there!

LawnTamer

LawnSite Gold Member
Hi all,
I've been a licensed applicator for 20 years now. I know it is easy to get so used to working with these chemicals that you can forget how dangerous they are. Here's a story from just 30 miles north of me. I can't tell you what will happen to the applicator, or the company, but I can tell you they are not going to be the same.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9629232

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
What a shame. That applicator will surely never forgive himself. I had no idea there were products like that for use. Of course I've heard of fumigation products but I thought homes were quarantined for that type application.The product mentioned in that article sounds like what the Germans used in gas chambers on the Jews. What a trajedy...

Springmeadows

LawnSite Senior Member
The applicator said the manual is not the law. Isn't the first rule of pesticide regulation, "the label is the law"? Look like the applicator is gonna need a good attorney and insurance.

Springmeadows

LawnSite Senior Member
I just reread the article and saw that the four year girl died. I would never be able to live with myself, to cause the death of another person...wow. Insurance and a lawyer is the least of this companies problems...

OP
LawnTamer

LawnTamer

LawnSite Gold Member
Some follow up info.
The 15 month old sister of the 4 year old girl that died earlier just died, and oddly enough the owner of the pest control company is trying to defend himself by saying that his applicator followed the label, but not the "manual", and that he is not required to follow the "manual". I can't help but think he means the labeling. Who doesn't know that you have to follow the labeling? Either way, with 2 deaths like this, the fact that the tech used about 8 times the label rate, right next to the home, and all the press, this company is out of business. Even if 90% of his clients don't leave, his liability insurance will surely cancel him. I doubt he'll find anyone to insure him. I've met the guy once or twice at supply vendors.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9629232

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9633418

Hissing Cobra

LawnSite Senior Member
Very sad situation and it's caused by a careless worker who didn't follow the label's instructions. There's no winners here - only losers..... I taught a Pesticide Class today for people who want to get their Pesticide License and I reiterated multiple times that THE LABEL IS THE LAW! You cannot emphasize this enough.

mike174

LawnSite Member
The applicator said the manual is not the law. Isn't the first rule of pesticide regulation, "the label is the law"? Look like the applicator is gonna need a good attorney and insurance.
Most insurance companies will run like hell with this publicity....applicator negligence. The label is the law...applicator & company will most likely be defending themselves.

OP
LawnTamer

LawnTamer

LawnSite Gold Member
I just saw the local news. The owner was acting like the situation was under control, using the camera time to assure all his clients that from now on he would personally review each application of this product. He either knows something I don't, or he is delusional. I think he'll be lucky if all he looses is his business.