1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Be prepared. Neonics under review by EPA

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by phasthound, Feb 12, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

When I ran the pesticide division for several tree care companies all applications of imidacloprid were soil injections. Before it was available we were spraying thousands of birches on residential and public properties with Cygon. Now, I shudder at the thought of that.

2. OP
    OP
    phasthound

Greendoctor, I understand your angst regarding all the regulations. If every applicator had your knowledge, experience and the concern to apply pesticides correctly there would be little need for many of the current regulations. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In the early years of my career, I remember applying Cygon to shrubs. Those same types of plants are now treated with Imidacloprid. Surely a safer application. However, Imidacloprid does not control mites. I remember the labeling for Imidan too. Prohibited in residential landscapes but allowed in commercial landscapes. That always struck me as odd, because with what I do, I have quite a bit of control over who is on property and where they go.

4. OP
    OP
    phasthound

Yes we found that many trees & shrubs treated with Imidacloprid developed mite infestations within a month or so. Bayer denied it for years until studies came out showing it was true.

hort101 likes this.
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

While it was still allowed, I used soil injections of Dimethoate.

6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

I wish their was more accountability too.

Imidacloprid is pretty safe as long as you aren't stocking it at the bar. I certainly consider things we should be letting dry on the lawn, like your average 3 way, more toxic.

That guy also led to the voluntary ban on basswoods.

I guess I'll have to stock up.

7. CorgiTurf

CorgiTurf LawnSite Senior Member

On the contrary, bifenthrin used to not be labeled for residential, but now it’s one of the most used insecticides in residential.
    How did that work?

8. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now they would like to eliminate the EPA. I wouldn't anticipate any changes.

9. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

Makes sense, although I don't agree, that they want to ban on turf. All the studies I have seen with colonies don't have neonics because the flowers isn't connected to the plants vascular system, its separate, which is why you want to apply systemically. We do find very high levels of fungicide and adjuvants which makes sense because thats what is being applied during bud break.

10. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I am not a big fan of liquid merit applied to turf or any insecticide for that matter. It leaves a ton a residue on the leaves for insects/ homeowners to have skin contact. I read somewhere a while ago merit only moves upwards in plants, so a foliar application is basically useless unless watered in before it degrades. Other neo’s move both upward and downward but still a residual issue. Granular only here on any blanket apps whether it’s pre or insecticides and I only spot weed controls. My clients are free to enjoy there lawn and sleep at night without worrying. A step in the right direction, soil injections are another story and a great addition to any ipm program.

greendoctor, phasthound and Hineline like this.