1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Be prepared. Neonics under review by EPA

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by phasthound, Feb 12, 2020.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

That was the scam between the EPA and the chemical companies. I also remember when Pyrethroids were labeled for ag use only and with a Federal RUP designation. Terms of that included just about all Carbamate and Organophosphates going away on residential turf. Neonicotinoids and Pyrethroids would be given minimal scrutiny at that time. Fast forward to now, Imidacloprid is not ok any more.

CorgiTurf likes this.
  2. greendoctor

I am not a fan of any chemical application to turf without knowing when and how it will be watered in.

3. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

well greendoctor, after rereading your posts, understanding your knowledge and passion for keeping our planet the way it was meant to be. This is where I crack two cans of spam hand you one and toss mine out, crack two beers, sip mine and give you one to wash that down.

4. greendoctor

Skip the SPAM. Other part of me is not to eat garbage and blame my problems on Pesticides.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

As an applicator its my job to make an accurate application and advise the customer on any instructions (i.e. water in, dont water imm after app, etc). Whether they do it or not is of no concern of mine. We aren't babysitters.

6. greendoctor

You are not a babysitter(product steward), neither are your customers. I grant you that. Am not saying you need to be one. Which is why the EPA takes the positions it has been taking over the past 30 years. Product hazardous via skin contact to children? Product gets pulled. Product hazardous to off target organisms if not watered in immediately? Product gets pulled. All that is left are safe products that do not work very well and that is a generous assessment of what is left in the arsenal once the effective products are gone.

Mark Oomkes and hort101 like this.
  7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like sound science is not much involved in their decisions. Similar to cough, cough climate, cough change.

jonthepain, greendoctor and JLSLLC like this.
  8. greendoctor

That is a very generous assessment of the science behind the FQPA. Presumption is that every exposure to a pesticide bioaccumulates in a human. The bioaccumulators were all pulled by 1985. So that is why if an AI is all over fruit and veg, residue on turf is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Bring sardines for GD, they're healthier

10. greendoctor

:laughing: Meat in a can heavily sugared and salted. What could go wrong? At least sardines are minimally processed fish.