• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Bed Definer or spade

gchidest

LawnSite Member
Really haven't found much info on a bed definer. Are they worth it? Is it a drastic improvement from just an edger? The info I've found, some people say a spade or shovel is just as quick.

OP
gchidest

gchidest

LawnSite Member
I think that's what I'll do also. A bed definer is almost $600, I've never seen anyone with one and very little feedback on them.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I would not buy it as a stand alone tool unless i had tons a natural edges to redefine on a regular basis. However I already owned the stihl kombi system so adding that attachment made sense. I use the bed redefiner attachment to maintain roughly 200ft of natural edge around mulch beds around my house. Its fantastic. I actually used it to cut in the beds, albeit its not marketed for that.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Definitely using a kombi or pas system would be best in the long run, faster, more define and can be used with other attachments in between

OP
gchidest

gchidest

LawnSite Member
That's got me thinking again. 100% of the customers I have all have natural edged beds that could use some help this fall. I just might have to go have a look at some today.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
That's got me thinking again. 100% of the customers I have all have natural edged beds that could use some help this fall. I just might have to go have a look at some today.
If your not already invested. Look into renting one. My local rental place is also a stihl dealer. Rents the attachments for 25 bucks a day.

If the edge is already there, this tool makes redefining it a breeze. I usually vertically string trim the edge first so i can better see where the natural edge is.