1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Bed edges

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jun 3, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have another question, this one about bed edges. I got a nice sized mulch job and the beds need edged, kind of have an edge but it's at a 70 degree angle or so, not vertical and needs cleaned up. Will my Echo SRM2400SB with edger attachment do the job or will this require renting a bed edger? If mine will work, any special technique or am I just going to have to make the vertical cut and then use a shovel to get up the soil and just throw it in the bed before i mulch?
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. one word

SHOVEL

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I've got the right idea, but I use a flat spade (guess that what you call it), leaves it straight. If its on a slope, do not (dont use this junk anyway) use pine mulch, its too light and will wash down. Use hardwood.

4. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's a good size project rent a edger, you won't regreat you did leaves a nice shape edge and saves a lot of time. I'd say if it's more than 100 linear foot I'd rent one.

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Aztlan, it's about 400 linear feet of edging. I read on here that it is about $40 a half day which is all I'd need, and I'm charging them $75 for the edging so I guess I'll probably rent one. Thanks, :)

6. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

I'm new at edging and have the stihl split shaft with edger attachment, and I'm wondering the same thing.

Should my edger only be used for sidewalks, etc.?

Besides a flat spade, is there a specialized shovel for this? digging shovel is not flat.

I like the hardwood mulch tip.

Mike

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

no need to rent to make a straight edge.....take the stick edger and make the bed line where you want it, then what i usually do is go along the edge with the flat part of a mattox and dig up between the edge and the bed and leaves a nice clean line.

8. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

What's a mattox?

9. Green Thumb Lawncare

Green Thumb Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Nada, whats a MAttox with you? jj, lol

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

too late MDB, I already reserved one. It's going to cost me $30 so thats $45 labor I think that would be suffecient? The worst part is the rental store is out of the way but the others are already reserved.