1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Bed Edging With Irrigation Systems

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GravelyGuy, Apr 21, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Do you guys still use a bed edger on properties with irrigation systems or do you just go around and do them with a shovel?

Is it unresonable to ask the customer to get the lines marked to have this done? I have no idea how the lines run for these things, so I'm nervous about using one on my properties with irrigation systems.

Thanks...

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

what are you useing for a edger? stick or shaper?

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

It is almost impossable to mark a zone line.

4. Stillwater

unless the installers placed a tracer line on the pipe during install,..... but your right ya, got a better chance of winning the lottery than that being done....

5. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

You should check out the Trenchblade. It will give you a trench for the bed line that is only 2 inches deep and you should not hit the irrigation line, unless it is buried way to shallow.

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

whats the worst that happens you have to replace a head maybe repair a line 20 bucks if you have a lot of edging to do.....................

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Trenchblade is a good solution. My Brown bed edger will go right through sprinklers wires crack side walks and wont miss a beat. If you break a sprinkler and dont know it that tends to creat problems

8. Stillwater

Ya those are nice

9. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

It figures I have a FC55 Edger so the trenchblade won't work for me. I don't know how to replace a sprinkler head. I've been careful around these things for years so that I never have to mess with them. How hard is it if you accidentally hit one?

Thanks...

10. Stillwater

easy Take a look at one its not a big deal if you trash one