Bed Edging

POWER STROKE

LawnSite Senior Member
What does every one prefer when edging beds. Power Edger, or Shovel Spade?

Thanks in advance for any help or input.

POWER

martinlawn29

LawnSite Member
how much are you going to do a year ? will it make sence to buy a power edger or a 30 dollar spade?

Walker Lawn & Landscaping

LawnSite Member
browning bed edger hands down is the best i have used makes a clean wide and deep edge. the soil it removes from the trench is fine ground, easy to work with and to spread out as opposed to other edgers or a shovel where you have to pick up and remove of the soil/sod or chop up and spread out. chops right through roots hard ground, i have even used it in compact gravel. it saves you so much time and effort its unreal, if you do a lot of installs it is well worth the price. i want to say like two grand for a new one. just be sure to charge appropriately by foot/machine hr. i think its easier to freehand new bed edges with than a shovel. A shovel will always have its place though

blmc5150

LawnSite Member
I use an Echo bed re-definer.
Yes. These work awesome if you have an existing edge. We got one last year and love it! Saves a TON of time. We use a Brown Bed Edger for non existing beds/edges. But the Echo BRD is the way to go, especially if you have a lot of beds to edge.

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
Yes. These work awesome if you have an existing edge. We got one last year and love it! Saves a TON of time. We use a Brown Bed Edger for non existing beds/edges. But the Echo BRD is the way to go, especially if you have a lot of beds to edge.
I do not have a walk-behind edger, so I use the Echo for new beds, too. It is not what the Echo is built for, but it works...easier than a shovel. I do 3 or 4 passes with the Echo, and it gets the job done. And no material to remove after.