1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bed trenching

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PGA, Feb 21, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I know some of you call it edging. We call it trenching around here. I dont have to much of it to do but I was wondering how you guys charge for it?

By the foot?
    Yard?

I do it with a trench shovel. It doesnt take that long. I was thinking about a dollar a yard for beds that were already cut but just needed to be reshaped due to run off or settling.

Thoughts?

2. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

PGA,

I don't use an exact system for charging by measuring. From previous experience, I am able to get a close idea of how many man hours it will take by looking at the beds. From there, I'll the multiply the hours by my hourly rate.

Don't forget to charge a 'dumping' fee if you are going to be removing the edgings from the property.

Dave

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Im doing a job tommorow but its only going to take about 20 mins to get them back into shape. I charge 60 and hour for cleanups or other jobs that I do hourly so I guess that would be $20. Thats not bad.

4. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

We use a Brown Bed edger (TrenchMaster) we charge $1.00 per foot for small jobs and .50 per foot for big jobs with a $75.00 min.

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

a dollar a foot an up!!

6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I charge 1.25 per ft and any hauling is an extra

:)

7. jhoneycutt

jhoneycutt LawnSite Member

I rent a Bed Edger for $25 It does awsome. and usually get a couple of jobs together and split the rental then by man hrs.
    and it doesn't take long (avg. 1 man hr per yd)