Been a long time to see this kind of Spring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scagtastic, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Scagtastic

Scagtastic LawnSite Member

Jimmy mowing greens last Thursday the golf course we began maintenance services on, got up to 80 that day....Today out the back door from my garage to my shop....Welcome to Iowa in the Spring LOL!

Resized_20180412_133242001.jpeg

Resized_20180415_084513.jpeg

K c m and Ridin' Green like this.
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That is exactly how it looks here in MI right now. In fact, ice is building up slowly on everything since it is still raining very lightly. Might lose power tonight if it doesn't stop. A few days ago it was 71 and nice.:dizzy:

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

was 80 here then rain and down in the 30s the next 2 nights then back up to the 70s. strangest weather i've ever seen.

13Razorbackfan and CGros31 like this.
  4. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Platinum Member

No better in NY this whole week cold n rainy.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

80 40s 30s 80 40s 30s . Repeat. Windy and cold today. Never have experienced this type April since I started mowing. Low 40s Thursday night. Not sure when it will get back to normal.

13Razorbackfan and weeze like this.
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

It was literally warmer in Feb.

7. Lawntkd

Lawntkd LawnSite Member

Slow start here in Texas too.

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

We've had up and down temps but this is the best year I ever recall for blooms and lengthy bloom times on azaleas, Dogwoods and bulbs. The palms took a beating when a late ice storm came thru and many will most likely have to be replaced. The trees have full canopies now and most of the crap has fallen from them and will need one last clean up. Lawns have been mowed and soon will need weekly service. Other than losing the palms, I will take springs like this one every year (here). Hope you guys that were hit hard get rolling soon and make up for lost time and income.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yours grass must be growing down there Russell. We don't have hardly any warm season grass growing in the Upper part of the State. Yea the colors are brilliant this year. But it is hard to get the elderly out of winter mode when their grass is brown. Probably not good for coastal tourism. I bet the Ocean is still very cold. I know the chilly breezes coming off the Ocean can't be all that fun either for the sun bather crowd. Then there are the never ending rains. I love the rain but for beach goers it would be a bummer. So you would want this kind of Spring all the time for just the colors? We are very different. I froze yesterday out mowing:cry:

10. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

There are more tourist here this year than Ive ever seen this time of year. Lots of car shows, golfing etc. Ocean temp is 61 degrees but that's not much different than any other year. It's FAR from freezing here.