Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some before & after pics of an edging job I did today. I picked up this account in the spring and have been trying to get the customer to let me clean up the edges (and get paid of course). He finally did because he's getting the driveway sealed and wants to do the sidewalk too. Techically it's a town sidewalk, but as you can see, they don't maintain it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't do 100% today...things were going well until I disturbed some yellow jackets. I was lucky to get away with only one sting...I needed my backpack blower to get back into the danger zone and get my tools.

I'll straigten things out a bit when I get a chance...anyway, I think it's a big improvement.

Plant Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bastalker - I did use the edger to cut through the top of the turf (used an old blade so I couldn't cut too deep). The pavement edge isn't exactly even, so in some places I had to just "pick a spot" to end the turf. Seems that they just kind of tapered the left side off and backfilled.

I Found an invisible fence I wasn't told about too. The other problem was I got into quite a tall edge about half way down on the right. I usually just stamp it down so it's not so tall, but that's how I found the yellow jackets!

Next time I mow I'll probably just hit it with the trimmer on edge and some 105 line and see if I can get it a little straighter.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hey Darryl, Guess that edit didn't happen fast enough ...sorry... I put that lame post in there cause I never saw the second pic.:eek:

I shoulda known there was another one on the way.... :blush:

But you know!! Its miller time...:D

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Looks great! What a big difference! If you wanted to take a bit more off, and go to the sidewalks actual edge, you can still do that. If it was me, I would have to. It would bother me not to.:dizzy: Sometimes, I have to move the guard on the edger, and tilt it forward futher, so it has the clearance in back. That was a big JOB, though. Alot of sod by the looks of it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOOKS GREAT! I LOVE TAKING ON THINGS LIKE THAT 'CUZ THE END RESULT IS VERY REWARDING TO THE SOUL!!!
PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK. IT IS NOT EAST TRYING TO FIND THE ORIGINAL EDGE LINE WHEN YOU GOT TO GO THROUGH 2 FEET OF SOD!

PRISSY
PRISCILLA'S LAWN CARE:D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Looks really good. We did a big one last week. I should have gotten pics. 3-4" overgrowth on both sides. It was a corner lot, and it looks sweet now.

We had been using the star edger baldes, but couldn't find them around here anymore, so I looked in j thomas. Got a couple of the star blades and an 8-point which we've never tried before. I can't wait for our next job to try that baby out.

We do a lot of edging jobs for people we don't mow for. Once people see how nice it looks, they call you back every year.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Boy, Darryl has some gumption going after an edging like that on asphalt. I dislike edging even new asphalt, but his job looks good.

On an edging like that, especially on concrete, a worn straight blade is best. I'll generally use a 9", 0.95 blade worn down to around 7". There is more power in the shorter blade to cut thru all that dirt. Also the thinner the blade, the easier the job will be; again less power needed to make a thinner cut. Wish I could find the 0.65" thick blades I once had - should have bought 1000 instead of 100.

Maple City, if you've used the 4 blade stars, you'll love the 8 blade - twice the cutting edge. I've used them for years. They are expensive individually, need to buy 50 or 100 to get a decent price. But Russo's in Chicago has them in stock, and at lower than other's quantity pricing. Shop there in winter to stock up for season next year.

And always wear good gloves when cleaning up this type of edging. No telling how much broken glass is buried in it. And keep eyes open for old buried coins, too, LOL.

·
Registered
305 Posts
GroundKprs

What is Russo's, and where is Chicago is it? My husband's full time job is in Gary, so he can get to Chicago easily. I think I paid like $6.00 for the 8-point (plus shipping). But if we like to use them, it will be worth a trip to Chi. to get some.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
http://www.russopower.com/ Contact page has their address. You have to go to the store to believe it. Anything you need for the business, and many parts in stock. Unbelievable pricing because of the sales quantity they have. And unbelievable service: salesman meets you at the door and goes thru the store with you, explaining machinery and other items and taking your order. Then he assembles it while you check out and helps you load it, whether you are buying a couple of boxes of things or a semi load.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the compliments, but I think it could look better. I'll try to get a pic after I get a couple of the wiggles out.

Unfortunately, it would look worse if I went back to the original edge everywhere, as it's pretty ragged.

The job took about 2.5 hours, 1:15 to 3:49 and yes, there was a lot of sod. I did most of the cutting with the stick edger, then used a square shovel to remove, push into piles, shovel to cart & dump in truck. The power broom came in real handy to get what the shovel left behind.

I actually installed the sod at my cousin's. He has worn path across the lawn to where he parks his van. We placed the sod in the worst places and spread the dirt and seeded in the not so bad ones. The best part is that I had help unloading it all.

Hey, I was born in Chicago...my Mom grew up there in the Polish section on W. Moffat Street. We moved when I was 2 months old. I didn't like the smell of Gary Indiana when I visited as a kid...papers mills I guess.

·
Registered
305 Posts
. I didn't like the smell of Gary Indiana when I visited as a kid...papers mills I guess.
Those are steel mills you smell in Gary. That's funny for you to say that becuase I can remember as a kid going to Chicago on the South Shore...we'd plug our noses because it always smelled bad by the mills in Gary.

My husband is a firefighter in Gary, so we do this part-time on his days off. Lets me stay home and be a Mom on his duty days. Works out pretty well for us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.