Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Despite the fact that I hate red mulch you do nice work. Keep it up!

Can you tell us the names of the plants you put in there. Knowing what they are will give us a better idea of what it will look like when they are full grown.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keth said:
Despite the fact that I hate red mulch you do nice work. Keep it up!

Can you tell us the names of the plants you put in there. Knowing what they are will give us a better idea of what it will look like when they are full grown.
Lol why do you hate red mulch? I think it looks real nice with that.. BTW.. that was my first landscaping job. I don't really know the names as of now, but i have two evergreens on the outsides, 6 hostas, japanise maple tree in the middle and a few other little flowers. The job total was 400.00

·
Registered
394 Posts
It is just a personal thing with me. Red occurs in nature very rarely and in my opinion mulch should look like dark rich soil. Red to me just looks a bit fake and contrived. I tend to go for the shredded pine or the Texas Black varieties but everyone has their own preference. You did a nice job for your first time. No offense intended.

As for the plants those hostas will love being shaded by the Japanese Maple when it grows up and the spacing looks pretty good. The maple may be planted a little too close to the house as it matures it will have a 20 foot canopy.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. By the time that maple matures their prob not going to be living there anymore and theyll want something else done. I think it turned out real nice. In about a year it will look much better once everything grows.. - peter

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad to see you're using this forum to get feedback. Most landscapers don't do that much, so I say you're off in the right direction. Let me suggest you take all the feedback and criticizim you can get from your peers, it goes a long way.

As with any business, keep on learning everything you need to stay competitive. Next to business skills, plant materials and design are important elements to know (in my opinion). One thing that most people think is how easy it is to landscape. You just go to the big-box store, buy some plants, and stick them in the ground. How hard can that be? I feel it's important to educate the client as to WHY we do things, WHY plant selection is important (color, texture, form, soil types, shade v. sun, native, ornamentals, etc.), and why our industry is as important as building contractors, architects, engineers, etc.

So, the comment about the red mulch is good. You have a reason to use it, but don't just use it because you like it, use it because it fits the overall design (colors, style of architecture, natural ecosystem, etc). Vary what you use job-to-job.

BTW, the maple looks like it might be a weeping varitey of a. palmatum, maybe disectum 'Garnet'??? If so, the size is fine for where it is. Shouldn't get more than 8' max, and will take a while to get there.

Good luck, and keep on sharing!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Petr51488 said:
Lol why do you hate red mulch? I think it looks real nice with that.. BTW.. that was my first landscaping job. I don't really know the names as of now, but i have two evergreens on the outsides, 6 hostas, japanise maple tree in the middle and a few other little flowers. The job total was 400.00
Did they provide the plants, or did you?

·
Banned
3,563 Posts
Petr51488 said:
Crap then kid you didn't make any money. Lets see what the prices of materials here in NC would have been....and this is a deal on the plants with my contractors price

2 Evergreens-$20ea" $40
6 Hostas-$15ea: $90
1 Jap maple: $15
Misc Other Plants: $50
Red Mulch (what 2 yrds?) $44

That's $239.00 Before Sales Tax here in cheap NC on the plants & Mulch only and even though you will deny it probably I bet you paid more than this. Then you had to rip out all of that old crap in there and I would say cut the bed edges but it appears you didn't bother to cut defined bed edges and then the labor to lay down the mulch and plant the plants AND the time and expense you had to drive and get the mulch and plants. Way I see it not even being a smart azz about it you made a profit of maybe $100 and for how many hours of back breaking work? All Day? Half a Day even? You could have made more working at Micky D's. So the moral of my story and I think what Mo Green was probably getting at also.....charge accordingly if you aren't stick to cutting your mom and dads neighbors yards but stay out of landscaping. I know you are only like a 16 year old kid but you did a hard days work and left a LOT of money on the table in doing so as this was a $800 bottom dollar job and probably more like a $1200 one even here in NC so I know it was worth that or more in high priced NJ.

I'm really not blasting you kid, but you really screwed up pricing this one.....BAD!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MMLawn said:
Crap then kid you didn't make any money. Lets see what the prices of materials here in NC would have been....and this is a deal on the plants with my contractors price

2 Evergreens-$20ea" $40
6 Hostas-$15ea: $90
1 Jap maple: $15
Misc Other Plants: $50
Red Mulch (what 2 yrds?) $44

That's $239.00 Before Sales Tax here in cheap NC on the plants & Mulch only and even though you will deny it probably I bet you paid more than this. Then you had to rip out all of that old crap in there and I would say cut the bed edges but it appears you didn't bother to cut defined bed edges and then the labor to lay down the mulch and plant the plants AND the time and expense you had to drive and get the mulch and plants. Way I see it not even being a smart azz about it you made a profit of maybe $100 and for how many hours of back breaking work? All Day? Half a Day even? You could have made more working at Micky D's. So the moral of my story and I think what Mo Green was probably getting at also..... I know you are only like a 16 year old kid but you did a hard days work and left a LOT of money on the table in doing so as this was a $800 bottom dollar job and probably more like a $1200 one even here in NC so I know it was worth that or more in high priced NJ.

I'm really not blasting you kid, but you really screwed up pricing this one.....BAD!
Your right, i did only make 100.00 on this job. BTW Im 17, almost 18. You crossed the line by saying "charge accordingly if you aren't stick to cutting your mom and dads neighbors yards but stay out of landscaping." We all gotta learn somehow. Relax buddy. So what if i only made 100.00 on this? I know i priced wrong from the very beginning. This guy is a good customer of mine and gets me alot of work. So big deal, i lost a little here. Ill make it up another time. At least i learned from my mistake. You only paid 15.00 for a Jap Maple? I paid 90.00 for this one.

·
Banned
4,898 Posts
So what if i only made 100.00 on this? I know i priced wrong from the very beginning.
Please explain this to me so that I can understand what you mean. If you knew you priced it wrong from the very beginning then why did'nt you price it RIGHT from the very beginning? :dizzy: Since you knew!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
olderthandirt said:
Please explain this to me so that I can understand what you mean. If you knew you priced it wrong from the very beginning then why did'nt you price it RIGHT from the very beginning? :dizzy: Since you knew!
Good Point.lol The guy didn't really ask me to it for him. I asked him if i could do it. He told me yea, sure go ahead. When your done tell me how much. This was basically a test project. To learn from. A sample of what i could do for other people. Now does it make sense?

·
Banned
4,898 Posts
Petr51488 said:
Good Point.lol The guy didn't really ask me to it for him. I asked him if i could do it. He told me yea, sure go ahead. When your done tell me how much. This was basically a test project. To learn from. A sample of what i could do for other people. Now does it make sense?
You made 1st mistake in not having a written contract, 2nd mistake was not spelling out what you would be doing and how much it would cost your customer. 3rd mistake is pricing the job way to low. 4th mistake was practicing on a customers property. Your suppose to know what your doing BEFORE starting a prodject. Now schools out :waving:

·
Banned
3,594 Posts
I commend you for showing your work...sounds like you have a good attitude and are willing to learn. Remember to take the info you get here as constructive criticism - they are trying to help. Next time you go to do a job like this you will have a better idea of pricing, etc... nevertheless, good work and keep learning!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sean Adams said:
I commend you for showing your work...sounds like you have a good attitude and are willing to learn. Remember to take the info you get here as constructive criticism - they are trying to help. Next time you go to do a job like this you will have a better idea of pricing, etc... nevertheless, good work and keep learning!
Thanks for the comment. Some people, like i said, go way overboard with their "criticism". Thanks again - Peter

·
Banned
5,112 Posts
I think you did a real good job it being your first one.Some people forget to put a value on learning and getting your feet wet in this biz .
I put a high value on it because you can't learn this all in a classroom and you gotta get in there and develop your sense of time
and space and materials.
This is sometimes hard to do cuz you don't know what your doing so nobody's gonna hire you to do their yards.... and you can't learn to do it without somebody hireing you to do it.
So I say you actually MADE a profit on this job and that profit was the expeirience under your belt.

Now,the only problem I have with this job is the fact that it looks like you ignored the drainage and water sits in the corner.
1st thing you take care of on a job is clearing the area and drainage.Ask yourself"Where's the water going to go?"Is it going anywhere or do I need to make it go somewhere?".
Drainage is #1 priority before anything else in a landscape.Could you have done something to make that water flow out and away from the bed and the house foundation??

·
Banned
4,898 Posts
Some people forget to put a value on learning and getting your feet wet in this biz .
I put a high value on it because you can't learn this all in a classroom and you gotta get in there and develop your sense of time
and space and materials.
This is sometimes hard to do cuz you don't know what your doing so nobody's gonna hire you to do their yards.... and you can't learn to do it without somebody hireing you to do it.
So I say you actually MADE a profit on this job and that profit was the expeirience under your belt.
Sorry to disagree with you But you don't practice on other peoples property. He could work for an established LCO and learn to do things correctly and still make the $100 that he made, with out the liability of screwing something up. Like your example of the water whats the home owner going to do if he now gets a wet basement? can't come after a minor so he stuck, and what did our young entrepreneur learn? Seems like nothing until he posted here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.