Beginner help needed

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by Phil1010, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Phil1010

Phil1010 LawnSite Member

Hey there. New to the forum and I'm having some trouble getting my feet wet. I have a asphalt kingdom ak 130 gallon sprayer. It has coal tar in it but I have heard some people use oil based sealers in it such as black mac? Is this correct or are these units water based material only? The other major issue I am having is constantly losing pressure at the gun . I have cleaned the nozzle, tank main suction port and agitated it as recommended. I am unsure what to check next. I find when I'm spraying, I keep losing prime and my spray goes to nothing special . I'm in Ontario and anychelp is greatly appreciated

2. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

Read the Black Mac in Ontario thread .

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have a strainer basket? I would check that.

4. Asphaltfarmer907

Asphaltfarmer907 LawnSite Member

Def check your strainer basket.

5. joeE

joeE LawnSite Senior Member

I guess by now uve found the problem. I am thinking maybe your not getting the c.t mixed well without mixing paddles. I would shave a 2x4 to the bottom n feel around 4 chunks thathe. t might make there way to block the port. If that's the case, use that 2x4 to help get all the chunks sucked into the pump n mixed better b4 spraying. Anyway let everyone know what the problem was to help others,........or not.

6. OP
    OP
    Phil1010

Phil1010 LawnSite Member

Long time to reply lol but it ended up being a gun problem. Ended up selling the unit as it was too big for what we needed and now run a marathon oil based spray system

Cam15 likes this.
  7. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

Are you still using a helper or spraying by yourself ?

Cam15 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Phil1010

Phil1010 LawnSite Member

Well kinda both. I built a small gun to swap out for cutting in but haven’t used it much for a couple reasons. Not totally sure on a game plan to hold the board properly and spray with other hand and I’m trying to determine how to turn down my pressure at the tank so I’m not getting a strong blast of sealer when using the short gun to cut in. Just worried on getting overspray or not having the proper control of the gun at the high pressure if this makes sense

9. SHAWZER

SHAWZER LawnSite Member

I just throttle down the engine a bit when cutting in . Practice on an open driveway with nothing around but grass until you get used to board in 1 hand and spray gun in other hand . Sometimes a smaller tip with less volume works better for cutting in .

10. OP
    OP
    Phil1010

Phil1010 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tip. I read a previous post about a guy breaking his gun. The gun I built has water pressure washer tip in it which sounds like it may be shooting too much volume anyway.