Beginner needs spray rig advice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by markh28, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. markh28

    markh28 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 6

    I am only going to start with spraying about 3-4 lawns per year for broadleaf control. I cant afford a $2000+ spray rig and cant justify it. I already have in my posession a length of hose (200ft), a tank (75-100 gal, Im not exactly sure yet but I will find out) and a Briggs & Stratton 5.5HP Horizontal shaft motor mounted on a half sheet of plywood. This is connected to some kind of pump by a pulley and belt system and I know for a fact the pump is junk and does not work. Now for the questions:

    1) How many gpm do I need coming out of the pump feeding my hose and handgun? (this question will tell me what kind of pump to get). I do not want too much pressure and start blowing hoses, and I dont want too little pressure. I can do the math to figure out the RPM's and pulley ratios for this system.

    2) What about agitation? Do I need to be agitating while I am spraying? I was just planning on running a hose from the tank, to the pump, then a valve that sent the mix either to the handgun hose or directly back into the top of the tank. I need a filter in there somewhere too I believe...

    3) Do I need any kind of pressure regulators?

    Keep in mind that I want to do this as cheap as possible. I would go buy a pre-made rig if i was going to go into business doing this but I just want to spray 3-4 yards a year. Any advice would be appreciated, and any details on anything I forgot would also be great.
  2. SodKing

    SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,641

    Do you have a license to apply pesticides(ie: weed control?)
  3. indyturf

    indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Messages: 1,901

    if your just spraying weed control I would use a 12v shureflo pump 2 gpm will give you enough pressure to spray and you don't really need agitation if your only spraying weed control. and it will hook up to the battery on your truck.
  4. markh28

    markh28 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 6

    I will by the time I start using it. Local laws dictate that I must.
  5. yardprospraying

    yardprospraying LawnSite Member
    Messages: 147

    3-4 lawns a year? What size lawns?
    To get licensed you must have insurance. Will 3-4 lawns justify the cost for license fees and insurance?

    If they are small lawns, I would suggest a backpack sprayer. Save your money and buy a bigger sprayer when you get more business.

    Good Luck..

    DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA
    Messages: 5,132

    turn on your pm
  7. markh28

    markh28 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 6

    Licensing costs $90 in NE and is good for 3 years. I dont know what insurance costs as I havent looked into it yet. If its all economically viable I would like to take on more jobs eventually. But in the meantime....any advice?
  8. markh28

    markh28 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 6

    Im sorry...what's my pm?

    DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA
    Messages: 5,132

    private messages
  10. markh28

    markh28 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 6

    OK..I turned on private messages

Share This Page