Behia grass/blade question

SCacutabovelawncare

LawnSite Member
What are the best blades for cutting Behia grass and tough weeds. I also cut in sandy areas so need a blade that will last. I havent found a blade that cuts Behia well yet so please help
Posted via Mobile Device

JimQ

LawnSite Bronze Member
What are the best blades for cutting Behia grass and tough weeds. I also cut in sandy areas so need a blade that will last. I havent found a blade that cuts Behia well yet so please help
Posted via Mobile Device
Bahia is some tough stuff. Throw sand into the mix and you have a quandary.

I've had the best luck in Bahia with a high lift blade with an extended cutting edge.

High lift blades in sand aren't a good thing. Deck shell wear, blade sail wear, blowout, etc...

I guess I'd look for a standard lift (about and inch), extended cutting edge blade.

You might also try a Fuzion or Marbain treated blade. The increased cost may be offset by the extended sharpening intervals. It kinda depends on how bad a$$ your sand is. Or, it may be best to stick with non-treated blades and swap in sharp blades daily or multiple time a day.

SHARP seems to be the key to knock down all of those PIA stalks.

Q

JimQ

LawnSite Bronze Member
Oregon makes decent blades. They are easy to get and they offer both Fuzion treated blades (stay sharp treatment) and blades with extended cutting edges. They call them "Xtended"

Q

Razorblades

LawnSite Bronze Member
I agree with Jim Q; I like the Oregon low/mid lift with the extended cutting edge for the spring and early summer....or until the bahia stalks start to get tough when the hot dry weather sets in. In those conditions I switch to the high lift blade and then to the super high lift blades with extended cutting edge. These are Oregon brand also.

You might have different results, depending on your brand of mower and what deck it has, but generally the high lift with extended cutting edge will usually work the best, once the bahia starts to get dry and tough.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
Bahia is the toughest grass you will find. Add sand to that and you have a double whammy. Get mid-priced oregon's and plan on sharpening every day.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
I played around with different blades until I tried the Oregon Gator G6 blade. It is the cat's meow on Bahia. Hi lift to get Bahia out of the deck in a hurry. Garbage in, garbage out is how it works. A Fusion treated extended length edge finishes up this fine example of blade technology. You have to make sure you're getting the G6 Gator and not one of the other Gator blades. This is a dedicated side discharge blade and is not intended for mulching.