1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

belly mower and bush hog

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by kgribbins, Mar 27, 2004.

1. kgribbins

kgribbins LawnSite Member

I'm looking for one tractor that will allow me to use a bush hog on 20 acres that I cut 3-4 times a year and a switch to a belly mower on my 2 acre lawn that I cut weekly. This tractor needs to be low maintenance. Can anyone out there make a recommendation or have a similar experience?

thanks

K Gribbins

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

JD makes several models that will allow you do to this. I think you would be better off with a 3 point finish mower though. Belly mowers are a PITA.

3. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have 2 4410 JD's. I have bush hog and a belly mower. I find that the belly mower of the JD is by far the easiest to put on and take off. I have friends with Kubotas and New Hollands and those really stink to remove. I find that I can remove my belly mower in less than 3 min and put it on in about 5min. It will take you about 5 times to get that good at it but it is really easy and my 83 yr old dad does it all the time. There is no lifting. It is a really good mower that you can see when you are mowing. I have tried the 3 pt mower and didn't like it, but maybe it was just that i needed to use it for a while. I don't think you could go wrong with a JD from a 955 to the newer models. I would avoid the 4000 series that is not at least a 4x10 the ten part being most important. The older 4000 series are not too great. Good Luck,
    mike