belt sander to sharpen blades???

350yddr

LawnSite Member
I want to add a Burr King belt sander wondering if there are any testimonials out there? Saw a you tube and was amazed at the efficiency. I realize they are expensive, but a man has to have his toys! Thanks for comments.

rob7233

LawnSite Senior Member
I played with one at last year's GIE, it was a cold and windy day but using that thing was fast and accurate! The belts last fairly long and are cheap (if I remember correctly, like $8.00 each).

The Burr King process is much cooler and faster than a grinding wheel. No over heating and bluing of the metal.. Plus getting the blade end straight, square and sharp was a lot easier than sharpening on my RBG 1012-C. It has a table that sets the bevel with minor adjustments. I got to speak with the engineer of it and I can't recall what he said the original use/market was for the Burr King grinder. The gist of it was that using the machine for sharpening mower blades was kind of accidental and not the original intent.

OP

350yddr

LawnSite Member
That's coincidental, my son and I were at GIE as well, I remember the cold weather. Didn't see the Burr King booth, shoot... been checking out ebay and craigslist to see if I can get the right price.

PK Mows

LawnSite Member
That's a nice machine from a good manufacturer but for the money I think I'd buy something like this if you have 3-phase:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-HP-220V-3-Phase-Metalworking-Belt-Sander/G0489

I've used this machine a number of times and it works great and with the right belt would sharpen a blade very quickly.

If no 3-phase, then there's any number of small belt or knife-edge belt sanders out there for a whole lot less. You can check them out at any supplier of metal-working machinery. You can also find three wheel sanders like that Burr-King at equipment auctions fairly often, most every metalworking shop and fab shop has at least one or two. Great tools to have in the shop.

ralph02813

LawnSite Bronze Member
I can sharpen a blade with a good file in a few stroke myself. I leave blade on push mowers and just tilt them a few strokes it'll slice your finger right off.
Interesting, you just reminded me of something that has been staring me in the face for 35 years. I have a set of knives that I use often, I picked them up when I was cutting meat, some steel blades some stainless the only one in the draw that doesn't have a great edge on it is that last one I had sharpened. We always joked with the guy used to sharpened the blades, they never looked like they had been sharpened, but go ahead and drag you finger across it. He took on a new guy to sharpened, we all got our knives back and he had ground a new edge on them, they didn't hold up for sh*^*^t.
I have been using an almost smooth steel to keep the edge on my knives, I am going to give the file a whirl.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
If a knife blade has been overheated by a hotshot using some kind of machine on the blade. It will not hold its edge. Overheating happens long before the metal is blued or turned purple. I sharpen my own knives at home with a water lubricated diamond stone to get the initial angle back, followed by a medium, then fine oil stone. The only machine my knives might see is a water cooled grindstone. Never a dry sanding belt or disc.

On softer steel such as a mower, a belt sander is ok. So is an angle grinder. In either case, I use the machines to establish the angle. Then the fine work is done with a file.

justanotherlawnguy

LawnSite Bronze Member
The guy who sharpens my blades uses a belt sander. They come out far better then grinding them down with a grinder!
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnSite Silver Member
I have used sanding discs on an angle grinder for years. Cheap, Fast and effective.