Belt slipping_Scag VR ll

Jmarcus

LawnSite Member
Pretty sure my deck belt is loose. Lots of uncut blades and a couple other issues. Baffles all the way down to increase vacuum. Can easily put it on/take it off by pushing on the tension control arm. Fairly easy.

What could cause me to lose a bit of tension? And is there a way to adjust?

OP
J

Jmarcus

LawnSite Member
Thanks. Unfortunately for the Scag 61” VR ll there is no way to adjust - at least not the right way. And the belt I have now (3rd) has about 50-60hrs. Issues I have now were there from hour 1 of this belt. Just seem to have a lot of symptoms of a loose belt, but not symptoms of a bad spindle or pulley. Truly stumped.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Thanks. Unfortunately for the Scag 61” VR ll there is no way to adjust - at least not the right way. And the belt I have now (3rd) has about 50-60hrs. Issues I have now were there from hour 1 of this belt. Just seem to have a lot of symptoms of a loose belt, but not symptoms of a bad spindle or pulley. Truly stumped.
100% sure its the right belt, and not just a tad to big?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Never seen a machine that didn't have some sort of system no matter how primitive to tension a belt. If that one truly doesn't, that does not speak well for Scag because ALL belts stretch.

Clay Guinn

LawnSite Member
Never seen a machine that didn't have some sort of system no matter how primitive to tension a belt. If that one truly doesn't, that does not speak well for Scag because ALL belts stretch.
Scag's have a spring to apply the tension. Not user adjustable but can stall the mowers in stuff a finish mower has no business being in, so I think it is perfectly fine system.

DMT29

LawnSite Fanatic
The V+ decks (at least my Zs do) have the belt tensioner pulley and spring to keep tension on that belt. I would check to make sure pulley is good and spring is OK, i.e. it is strong enough to keep that pulley against the belt.

OP
J

Jmarcus

LawnSite Member
I was just as shocked, but also annoyed. Even in the manual in the troubleshooting section it shows pictures of different issues you might have, one of the solutions is to adjust the tension of your belt. Maybe an option for the 48” or 52”, but not the 61”. Trying to figure out a way to modify the current set up to get a bit more tension, hoping that helps recifty the issues.

Top Forums