1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Belts, Blades and More

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnnut, Jul 18, 2000.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Rick, <p>Not sure if I agree with a restocking fee either. Re- means to do again; go back. To re-stock and item it would have to be in stock in the first place. If the item was in-stock or a special order I would understand. But in your own words &quot;The Gator Magnum mulching blades are a hot selling item and are hard to keep in stock.<p>If they are so &quot;hot&quot; it's not like they are going to sit there forever. The restock fee is 15% of what, let's say $50.00. Your company is arguing in a public forum about an item that you can easily sell again for $7.00? What is that $7.00 for (REALLY), nothing, you were going to order more anyway, no re-stock involved, so the $7.00 is for principal or policy.<p>Legally, I don't see how you can charge a restock fee if the item was out of stock. Hope it's worth it, makes no since to me. <p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn

2. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

LawnNut, <p>Thanks for the post. I can tell from Rick's response to this forum that this is not a company I want to do business with. I will never order from Belts, Blades and More.<p><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

3. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

Lawnnut, your post is not clear. Did you know the blades were out of stock when you ordered them? If you knew then you should not have placed an order at all if you needed them in a hurry. Then you would not be waiting. Alot of companies charge a restocking fee. I think it is tacky to charge it if you didn't have the part to begin with. What you should do lawnnut is order or go get the blades from a dealor or a company that has them in stock and just wait on mowerparts to send you these blades. You need 2 or 3 sets anyway sharpened as backups and replacements. Just the fact that mower parts responded is showing that he is working on getting the blades. if you new that the blades were out of stock at the time of ordering. I don't blame him for being pissed at this post just a week after you ordered the blades.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Perhaps it should be called a cancelled order fee. Restocking fee would imply you sent them, I got them, and now I'm sending them back.<p>If you charged me a restocking fee for something you were not stocking, I would charge you a f'ing fee for f'ing me.

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

If they advertise it...shouldn't they stock it?

6. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Rick, you may want to rethink the restocking fee. This would normally be a charge on an item that was returned to cover your trouble of sending the order out, receiving it back and then putting it back in stock. (Which can be more trouble than a non-businessperson may realize). I have never heard of a fee for cancelling an order that hasn't been sent. Of course some companies may not allow you to cancel an order, so allowing that with a fee could be a step up from that, but I don't think too many customers can understand why they can't cancel an order that hasn't been shipped. Especially when it is a regular stock item and not a special order. For instance, I think Amazon will let you cancel any part of an order as long as they haven't shipped it. And they make it easy to do that online and of course there is no charge for it. When I worked in technical support at a software company, we did the returns. We were supposed to charge a 15% restocking fee on all returns. We often waived it for various reasons. Later the company did away with the restocking fee and we always gave a complete refund on any returns, except for the shipping charge. The policy was changed in the interest of keeping our customers happy. Even if someone winds up cancelling or returning an order and not buying anything, you want them to have a positive feeling about your company and to pass the word around. Whenever a customer called to cancel an order that had not left the building, no problem, we just cancelled the order. One thing I learned working there is that the customer always wants it now. If you don't have it now, they want to go somewhere they can get it now. Back in the old days it was always, &quot;allow six weeks for delivery&quot;. We got calls every day from people wondering why they didn't get the product they ordered yesterday (we shipped Fedex). When we did have a restocking fee and there was a good reason to charge it (like the customer had the product for a while), we would still waive it if the customer was going to be upset. No good having people mad at you.<br>Anyway, just my 2 1/2 cents worth.<br>Good luck,<br>Terry Slade<p><br>

7. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Give us a try, you won't be disappointed! $7 flat shipping. We have 4 warehouses that we drop ship Oregon products out of same day. Thanks

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I,ve often wondered if some of these online parts sellers stock anything at all. Are they acting as middlemen for some company that does actually stock the parts? Why would the company that the dealer supposedly is buying the blades from charge him a restocking fee? Does he (the dealer) want to cancel an order for a supposedly "hot" item? Cant he sell these blades to someone else? If you keep people waiting long enough, you could potentailly make a nice living just on bogus restocking fees.

9. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

No restocking fees here. Don't believe in them!

10. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

And our oregon blade grinders are in the mail?