Benefits of Stand-on Sprayer/Spreaders

TarletonTexan

LawnSite Member
I am new to this site, but have been in the turf business for many years. I am a golf course superintendent who does custom spraying and fertilizing on the side. I currently use a 200 gallon spray rig and drag 400’ of hose for all of my spray applications. I have been researching the stand on sprayers & spreaders and am wondering what benefits there are to using one vs. dragging a hose - other than the benefit of not having to actually drag a hose. Do you guys find a significant increase in productivity? The one concern I have with the self propelled sprayer is the small amount of spray volume. I use higher spray volumes as it provides better and more consistent coverage vs spraying at lower volumes. Do any of you run into any issues applying to lawns using lower spray rates for post or pre applications? Or do you have any issues with fertilizer burn if you spray foliar fertilizers at a lower GPA? Unfortunately I’m maxed out on how many yards I can take on, unless I find a way to be more efficient and cover more area at a faster pace. I always spray my pre-emergents instead of doing granular and will do one or two additional spray applications during the spring and summer(insect, fungicides, growth regulators, etc) depending on what the customer wants, so I do spray quite often in addition to slinging granulars. I searched other posts for the answers to my questions but mostly just found out why users prefer one brand of sprayer over the other. Right now I’m just trying to decide if I would see any real benefit from using one.

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
Many can get you higher volumes. I know the steel green with a roller pump can get easily 40+ gallons per acre.

im still running lower volume and see no issues. Even spraying fungicides and pgr. I can swap out nozzles, slow speed, or adjust pressure quick if I need to get a little. Ore volume down to the crown.

down side of low volume is liquid Fert but there are tons of options on granular now.

OP
T

TarletonTexan

LawnSite Member
That is my concern with the low volumes. Most of my spray apps have everything in the tank - fert, pre & post herbicide, insecticide and sometimes PGR so I can give customers best bang for the buck and limit the amount of total applications. Works great from an efficiency stand point, but I'm currently spraying at 2 gals/M. I'm afraid that spraying some of the products I use at such low volumes would be ineffective.

What about efficiency? How much more ground can you cover using a powered sprayer/spreader vs. walking?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Small yard--up to 8 thousand sq ft--I always found that there was no reduction from my ride-on in the time needed to cover the yard. This compared to a hand spreader or tank with hose. Of course, the time needed to refill the ride-on liquid tanks about 3 times per day was a factor.
Yards larger than 8,000 sqft seemed to be quicker with the ride-on. Low volume weed control--no problem.
I could find no effective method to change products or apply different formulas to different customer lawns. That is, except to use the hose and tank with a different formula as compared to the ride-on tank. A separate spreader with a special product (like grub control), worked OK for when that was needed. I used a small cheap spreader for grub control--and for steep hills. Nutsedge was sprayed with hand sprayers or the backpack.

OP
T

TarletonTexan

LawnSite Member
Pulled the trigger on a Toro Spraymaster XL Max. Can’t wait to put it to use next week.

Attachments

• 5CB56C21-71B4-46DA-A4DC-A4DEA5D95D64.jpeg
    5CB56C21-71B4-46DA-A4DC-A4DEA5D95D64.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 112

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Fanatic
Nice looking machine Texan! Give a few reviews, curious how you like it. I run Steel Green commercially and love them. As for your question about complete tank mixes at lower carrier rates.... well I only spray herbicides so I don’t have any experience. But a friend of mine does it all the time and says it works great! He’s from NE Kansas spraying mostly fescue lawns. Avoid quick release liquid ferts when temps get high. That’s all I know.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm a small (relative) pco that bought his first ride on at the beginning of last year. One of my best decisions ever. If nothing else, the savings on fatigue is worth the price alone. I started low end with PG but still love it. I still do my urea app from the skid. Other than that I try to use it every chance I can. But yes I'd hazard a guess as a 25 to 50% faster application time. Depends on the layout of the lawn.

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
We don't carry push spreaders anymore. Just in our way. We have other methods to spread fertilizer if we can't run our machines in an area.

Top Forums