Benefits of Stand-on Sprayer/Spreaders

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Been using a ride on for 10 years now, ever since I was first licensed. You made a great move you'll never look back. Only thing I would say is, get used to spreading fert instead of spraying it. Liquid fert takes up too much tank room and you'll spend a ton of time filling and mixing tanks. There's a reason ride ons have a spreader too.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
With a little luck, you can get an Earthway hand crank spreader behind the seat of your pickup. Great for special granular grub control, tiny back yards and steep hills.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
You're in the Golf Business, pick up a used Golf Course sprayer. Most have hose reels to reach those tight spots. I have 4 Toros and each one is dedicated. Toro #1 has a 12 ft boom and does Chemical Mowing. Toro #2 is boomless and does broadspectrum insecticide as in Fire Ants Fleas & Ticks etc. Toro #3 still has the 18 ft boom and does weed & feed mainly in Horse pastures. Toro #4 is boomless and does Fine Lawns, Common grounds, and medium-size yards. Toros # 1 & # 2 have receivers hitches on the front that take a fertilizer spreader. I originally was only trying to have a backup machine or two. But I am lazy and cleaning a tank to switch products is work.

18 ft booms can be a PITA even in a wide-open area with a tree or two. My point is to modify the sprayer to fit your needs.

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
With a little luck, you can get an Earthway hand crank spreader behind the seat of your pickup. Great for special granular grub control, tiny back yards and steep hills.
Using a hand crank spreader has got to be one of the most inefficient ways to spread fertilizer. Times have changed. I enjoyed throwing away all of mine a several years ago.

GREENITUP

LawnSite Senior Member
Solo op. here like you. I've got two ride-ons (Z and a Ground Logic / spreader only). To be honest I feel like my liquid coverage is better with the tank (skid) vs. ride-on. Inside corners, hills, zig-zagging around trees... try though you might, you will miss
some spots on almost every yard if you don't get off the machine and do them by hand. Riggle is right - small / under 8,000 s/f lawns no time saved.
That said - ride-ons will save your feet and legs years of abuse. good luck.

ryankndll

LawnSite Member
Pulled the trigger on a Toro Spraymaster XL Max. Can’t wait to put it to use next week.
I live in western ok and am considering a toro spray master, I’ve only used skid sprayers for 16 years and am unable to keep up, is it speeding your production up like we would hope and how’s it performing for you, wind/coverage, Im worried I’ll buy it and leave it on the trailer to use my skid more, thanks for any advice

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Fanatic
Only advise I have is- consider a Steel Green also. Probably better machine overall than Toro. The boys at Steel Green know what’s up.
I live in western ok and am considering a toro spray master, I’ve only used skid sprayers for 16 years and am unable to keep up, is it speeding your production up like we would hope and how’s it performing for you, wind/coverage, Im worried I’ll buy it and leave it on the trailer to use my skid more, thanks for any advice

ryankndll

LawnSite Member
Only advise I have is- consider a Steel Green also. Probably better machine overall than Toro. The boys at Steel Green know what’s up.
Hopefully I can find a dealer in OKC that has one tomorrow, I have to drive 3 hours there to find any ride ons and all I found so far are toros, I may have found a John Deere dealership that carry’s them

Top Forums