Benefits of Stand-on Sprayer/Spreaders

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Does the wind blow in Oklahoma? LOL!
Be sure your equipment has a easy and quick trim nozzle for those narrow spots--between two rose bushes, for instance.
One year, I did a narrow spot between raised beds with low concrete retaining walls. Killed an impatiens flower. Lost the customer.

ryankndll

LawnSite Member
I
Does the wind blow in Oklahoma? LOL!
Be sure your equipment has a easy and quick trim nozzle for those narrow spots--between two rose bushes, for instance. I did a narrow spot between raised beds with low concrete retaining walls. Killed an impatiens flower. Lost the customer.
Pretty consistent wind around here, thanks for the input

OP
T

TarletonTexan

LawnSite Member
Overall, I’m pretty pleased with the Toro XL model. It’s definitely saved me a lot of time on the large & wide open yards I do. However, it’s pretty poor on steep hills or inclines as expected. It’s also not very good at getting around obstacles or spraying anywhere that involves lots of curves and twists & turns. I was surprised at how well it sprays in windy conditions. Hardly any drift. I need to calibrate the hand wand so I can trim out corners and around obstacles accurately. Still trying to calibrate the spreader and figure out the settings, but I’m happy I decided to buy it. I’ve picked up several accounts that are an acre or more since purchasing it and can knock those out in no time without killing myself.

ryankndll

LawnSite Member
Hopefully I can find a dealer in OKC that has one tomorrow, I have to drive 3 hours there to find any ride ons and all I found so far are toros, I may have found a John Deere dealership that carry’s them
I have plenty of wide open stuff to spray and not many hills, a few cemetery’s I hope it will speed up also, I have a 300 gallon skid sprayer and a 4 gallon electric backpack sprayer to cover tight spots, I just have more to spray than I have time to cover

OP
T

TarletonTexan

LawnSite Member
I wish the weight was a little more balanced. When the tanks are full, you have to take it really slow & easy when taking off so you dont pop a wheelie, which then messes up your application rate. You’d think for something that costs as much as these things do, they could have an automatic rate controller that adjusts the application rate to your speed automatically.

ryankndll

LawnSite Member
I wish the weight was a little more balanced. When the tanks are full, you have to take it really slow & easy when taking off so you dont pop a wheelie, which then messes up your application rate. You’d think for something that costs as much as these things do, they could have an automatic rate controller that adjusts the application rate to your speed automatically.
Is it feasible to spray the outside perimeter then use that space to take off before turning the sprayer on

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Overall, I’m pretty pleased with the Toro XL model. It’s definitely saved me a lot of time on the large & wide open yards I do. However, it’s pretty poor on steep hills or inclines as expected. It’s also not very good at getting around obstacles or spraying anywhere that involves lots of curves and twists & turns. I was surprised at how well it sprays in windy conditions. Hardly any drift. I need to calibrate the hand wand so I can trim out corners and around obstacles accurately. Still trying to calibrate the spreader and figure out the settings, but I’m happy I decided to buy it. I’ve picked up several accounts that are an acre or more since purchasing it and can knock those out in no time without killing myself.
I have an older version of your machine, a Zspray Max.

Tip for working on hills, spray working uphill if it’s steep. Like any zero turn machine poor control when the nose is pointed downhill. You’ll learn to take the twists and turns at speed in time.

Tight spots and close to flowerbeds I use a backpack.

What water volume are you applying at?

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
Pulling a hose and 1 stepping will generally be quicker up to 10-15k, fertilizing or WC or PRE.

spreader/sprayer will definately be more efficient as you begin to have to move the truck for pulls using a hose.

If you currently have a liquid + granular program that requires you to 2 step IE push a spreader then pull a hose, a spreader/ sprayer would absolutely save time and body

IF your looking for the most efficient way to apply on -10k lawns, pure liquid will be the most efficient by far. If you start using granular fert, then get a ride-on and skip the hose

If we were granular, I'd look heavily Steel Greens or T3100's and stay away from Zsprays

Top Forums