1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Bent Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhenegar, Aug 1, 2000.

1. Pizpoppa

Pizpoppa LawnSite Member

Bricks are always encountering my Exmark, but the worst for me would have to be a tree. I thought I could just mow over a root close to the base and get the grass, but I got wedged onto it and the blade underneith just kept sawing away at the tree and cut a gash many inches into the thick pine. If I did not shut the engine off, I probably would have been yelling timber!

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets see....An employee hit a sewer cap that waseight inches wide. Bent two blades 90 degrees and bent a spindle on my laser. Two steel yard markers...Push mowers lost those ones. Slid down a wet hill on a Laser into a man hole, bent the front caster and the deck. Employee slid down a hill into a car, ripped OFF the quarter panel of a brand new Bonneville. Thank goodness for insurance. Two Dog chains, and two door mats. Thats about it.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Cutter1

3. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

My first season in biz - 1986 . My first mower - brand new commercial toro 2 stroke. Long grass+buried pipe sticking up 3&quot; = new crankshaft @ 300$ 1986 dollars.:(

4. dylan

dylan Member

One of my guys was mowing and hit a tree stump. I had the blades in X formation. The first blade stopped when it hit and the second cut right through the first. Pieces of shredded metal everywhere.<br>I had the clinch pin break off the front caster wheel. It slid out and came under the deck. Trashed a new blade, shredded the tire and cut up the caster.

5. The Mowman

The Mowman LawnSite Member

I would have to say the worst thing i have done is either hitting a pile of wood chips, one of which hit the boss or wrapping up a 5 foot section of chainlink fence that was lying in tall grass.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I mowed a 25 ft long tow chain,it was buried in the lawn,tow truck driver forgot it there,Grass was about 6&quot; high,it was a nasty sound,snapped 1 blade right off at center,bent spindle,tore baffle 1/2 way off the deck,to finish I tore baffle off,put old blade on and kept going.I mowed a kitten by accident,poor thing didnt even bog the engine<p>----------<br>John D<br>

7. kenneybros

kenneybros LawnSite Member

speaking of those stupid front wheels! A guy i worked with ran over the same wheel 2x in about a week. spit it right out the discharge. the second time it was junk