Bermuda Bad

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
One more question - remember, I am a novice. Am I supposed to mow every three days even if the grass is damp? The weather has been miserably humid / damp here in hell this entire last... 6-years...

No you can wait for a dry day. Dry grass cuts better. Wait for morning dew to burn off preferably.

OP
The Zen Master

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
No you can wait for a dry day. Dry grass cuts better. Wait for morning dew to burn off preferably.

Ha! There hasn't been a dry day here in 6-years. It may not rain every day but the humidity is oppressive. Probably why all of the "landscaping" round here looks like... well, you know...

Thanks again!

OP
The Zen Master

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
1-week after reset! May not be obvious in photo but it is filling in faster and denser than it has ever been. I wish we would get a break from the oppressive humidity...

Next year it will look like Augusta National! Thumbs Up

LAWN COMING BACK.jpg

OP
The Zen Master

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
Interesting discovery in my ongoing lawn growing education - just before I started this adventure, 3-years ago, I had a large wooden portable building delivered. It arrived on a trailer that had a second set of smaller wheels underneath that could be lowered hydraulically, lifting the main trailer wheels off the ground, and thereafter rotated such that the entire trailer and portable building could be swung into the direction required to get the building to go where it needs to go.

I have been looking at the "parallel strips" in my lawn that seem like they just do not want to fill-in like other parts of the lawn, and because of my decrepit brain (cancer drug induced) it just dawned on me yesterday while staring at it through my kitchen window...

I suppose I am going to have to find some way to core aerate, at the least, that portion of my small lawn.

I have seen a device one steps on, that drives two coring tubes into the soil, and if it works as advertised, seems like it could work (I could do a little at a time and be done in short order), but I just cannot bring myself to buy Chinese junk on Amazon - I am sure the steel is garbage and the welds are worthless.

So, soil compaction is a real thing.

I wish Rogue Hoe made a manual core-aerator because my 7" Rouge Hoe is fantastic.

chadflys

LawnSite Member
@takervader - Thank you, sir. I've been wanting a reel mower but have no idea what to buy. Recall that my lawn is only 500-square feet so an expensive golf-course mower is not an option, though if I could afford one I would get one, for that Agusta look! :D

I will be sure to put Spectracide down this fall and then continue with your preemergent recommendations going forward. I am old and in bad shape but I pulled as much crabgrass as I could this year - there is still some in there.

I am still uncertain - should I cut it low now and live with an ugly lawn a while - or work my way down?

I've looked at The Anderson's 16-4-8 fertilzer - is it too late for that this year?
You don’t need a reel mower. Bermuda is one of the easiest grasses to manage. Once you get it going that is!!! I use 1lb/1000sqft. Slow release.
For best results….
1. Bermuda is best cut short, but you CANNOT transition to that this late after being cut tall without killing a lot of it or making it look like crap. Bermuda spreads best when kept short!
2. Again for best results…cut twice a week. At least until you are happy with its spreading in….
3. Water accordingly. 3rimes a week. In the mornings. More if it shows signs of dryness.
4. Cutting short begins in the beginning of the year when it starts to green up. 1in with a rotary mower. Transition to 1.5, but no more than 2in. Last now of the year I’ll let it up to 2.5in.
4. PreEmergents will help. There are a bunch of different kinds so it takes some homework. Crabgrass preventer from HD works ok.
5. Post emergents. Very hard on the turf in July and August. Try not to use, or use reduced mixture to spot treat. (Trimec or 3-way) for a broad week killer. MSMA if you can find it or Image from HD works pretty good for grassy weeds, nut sedge and kalinga.
Two good sources of info on lawn care…
And

OP
The Zen Master

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
I figured I would post an update. It is coming back pretty good and has finally been filling in the way I hade hoped it would. Still a few rough spots / blotchy, and a sharp eye will spot what I think is dallisgrass in a few places, but resetting the height, fertilizing, and mowing & watering correctly was definitely worth it!

I am looking at getting some Specticle to apply mid-September and next spring I will for sure be using Prodiamine in the spring.

Many thanks to @takervader for your help!

UPDATE 28 AUG 21.jpg

Last edited:
OP
The Zen Master

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
I know that my lawn is poor compared to you professionals (I've browsed through threads and seen photos of beautiful lawns), but, I mostly-retired a few years ago and planned to live and work in my 5th-wheel, traveling back & forth from Brownsville, TX to Tampa, FL, to fly fish the surf and bays for the remainder of my life - but my health got in the way of that so I am where I am, for now. There was nothing but dirt and a few weeds here when I arrived, and I just couldn't abide that.

Now that I've learned enough to get the grass to grow well, I'll get to installing a border between the grass & gravel - one of these days - when prices on materials come back down! :D

OP
The Zen Master

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
Getting better every day. Just mowed and getting watered. A huge improvement over what it was. Those light spots are weeds - I am not 100% sure what they are. They're on my list of things to do! Thumbs Up
IMG_0849.JPG

Top Forums