Bermuda Bad

OP
The Zen Master

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
Yes, I would not overseed a lawn i just got going right either.
Thank you @takervader

I thought winter over-seeding with Rye was standard operating procedure for Bermuda lawns - then I started thinking about The Andersons Barricade and things weren't adding up (PS Specticle is hard to find, a little pricey, and I do not think I will live long enough to use 50-lbs on a 500-sq ft lawn - so that is how I came up with 18-lb bag of Barricade).

Am I giving up a green winter lawn temporarily or permanently?

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't ever do it at homes, on golf courses and athletic fields it requires a sprayout regimen in spring to force the rye to die out and bermuda to come back in fully. Otherwise the bermuda doesn't always do that, and you have to wait for spots to fill. I never want anything to compete with bermuda in spring. I'm good with a brown lawn from November to April, its cold and I don't wanna be outside.

You can do it, but you cannot seed and put out fall pre. You must seed and wait until the rye is established before pre. But you do run the risk of poa germinating, and it would also need to be sprayed out in spring.

You can wait 6-8 weeks after pre and attempt, but that doesn't always work well.

OP
The Zen Master

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
I will skip the rye grass this winter an see if I can get fall/spring weeds under control first!

My cheapo electric rotary mower's lowest setting is 1-1/2" with 3/8" increments. I have been mowing on the second setting (1-7/8") after using the lowest setting for the reset.

Should I continue mowing on second notch until it turns brown for the winter?

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
I will skip the rye grass this winter an see if I can get fall/spring weeds under control first!

My cheapo electric rotary mower's lowest setting is 1-1/2" with 3/8" increments. I have been mowing on the second setting (1-7/8") after using the lowest setting for the reset.

Should I continue mowing on second notch until it turns brown for the winter?

I'm noticing some slowdown here due to shorter days and cooler nights. I will probably start putting out pre next weekend or the following.

I plan to start raising the blades in a couple weeks, I usually raise to 2.25 - 2.5" in October. I will put out a bit of 0-0-60 and let it sleep.

Top Forums