Lawn Care Forum banner

Bermuda / St Augustine

6K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  cpllawncare 
#1 ·
Just picked up a new lawn in a high end residential area. Yard is a mixture of bermuda and St Augustine. Lot of various weeds, crabgrass, sedge, clover etc.
I am licensed but don't deal with a lot of St Augustine and usually am using a 3way spray for the bermuda. What is my best approach on this lawn. Will be spraying in Sept and will have the lawn full time next year.

#7 ·
Which turf are you trying to keep? How much of each at the property?
Posted via Mobile Device
Why not have both? I have several with mixed grass. I personally think if I was doing this lawn for the first time in Sept [i generally do mine in late sept and early oct] I would use a 3 way or Speedzone Southern with Simazine for the winter then start regular treatments in the Spring. The Crabgrass and such is going to start dying back on its own in a couple months anyway.

#9 ·
IMO it looks like crap. I like 1 turf, with little or no weeds. That's just me though. It's a cheap look. Like they had st Augustine that went south and just threw Bermuda seed down.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can see your point in a way. On my treated and irrigated smaller lawns the St Augustine will take over and I will admit they look better full. On the larger lawns they may have too many microclimates where one does better than the other and with, lets say, 8k of SA and 20k of Bermuda I do not think it looks bad.

#10 ·
Ornamec is a selective herbicide that only kills Bermuda grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ornamec is a herbicide that kills most all grasses including St Augustine. The big problem is weed control on St Augustine is. St Augustine is susceptible to most herbicides.

Herbicide can be great but there comes a point when Herbicides can't do the job. Oh sure they can kill off all the weeds, But will you have grass where the weeds were??? One of the reasons I like slow acting Herbicides is because they allow for a Grow in at the same time. But you have to have a high percentage of desirable turf to start with.

#11 ·
I can see your point in a way. On my treated and irrigated smaller lawns the St Augustine will take over and I will admit they look better full. On the larger lawns they may have too many microclimates where one does better than the other and with, lets say, 8k of SA and 20k of Bermuda I do not think it looks bad.
Having SA in the shade is better than having dirt and weeds. I have seen two grasses kept in the same lawn, but both the mow guy and the spray guy need to be on top of their game. No short mowing on the SA or high mowing on the bermuda or zoysia. Thank goodness SA is not too picky about its fertilizer. However, the hot mixes for weed control do not always go over SA.

#16 ·
Has a sprinkler system but has not used it much
The reason I asked if it is irrigated is if it is and the conditions are decent then the St Aug will kind of take over naturally. You mentioned the customer prefers St Aug so I would mow all the grass high say 4". Bermuda when mowed high is kind of thin underneath and the St Aug will tend to snake into it and spread. You will have to convince the customer to water properly though. If the lawn is in a constant drought state then conditions would favor the bermuda. Some of the products you can use on both are simazine, metsulfuron, celcius,certainty and others. I have a few lawns that are mixed like this and this has been my experiences.

#19 · (Edited)
If you're asking chemical wise it would be the ones I just mentioned.
Sorry for the confusion, I was asking about two different yards, trying to ask without starting a whole nother thread LOL, I think we call that hijacking. The yard I was last refering to is a st augustine only yard, I just put down Surflan XL 2G for a pre emergent at 3 lbs/1,000 I don't have a St Augustine schedule so I'm a bit lost on this one, also I need to mention that I'm on a granular only setup. We're getting plenty of rain here so irrigation isn't a problem,maybe even too much LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.