Besides money....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by South Hills Lawns, Jul 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

What gets you up and motivated each morning to go tackle the day.

For me, it’s the end result, a feeling of accomplishment and sometimes the appreciation of clients. :weightlifter:

2. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

My brain in sleepwalking mode...

Paying guys to run trimmers and blowers while i, for the most part, sit on a mower looking at the countryside.

That's the good...the stress that comes with employees and added expenses is the bad

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Eating breakfast. I love grits, oatmeal cookies and coffee. Day goes down hill after that:hammerhead::nono::cry::laugh:

4. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

My wife repeatedly telling me to get up

5. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

For me it's the end of the day and being able to see what accomplished. And all the people I've made smile at their freshly cut grass or new mulch or whatever I'm doing. And knowing that each day I'll be doing somthing a little bit different.

6. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

My dogs, they want to go outside and do the business. Coffee helps me move around.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

honestly i think the thrill is gone for me. i realize that every day is fighting a losing battle. it's ok....i just realize things will never be perfect so i will always be disappointed somewhat since i'm a perfectionist. seems lately things are just crazier than ever. people are getting really flaky, good customers are passing away left and right, and new potential customers have zero patience and want you to come give them an estimate and mow their yard "right now" or "today" ...i've had 2 estimates recently...i told one i can look at it tomorrow since i will be close by and they say ok. right after they called it started pouring rain so there was no way anyone could mow it anyways. i call the next day and they had already found someone. :dizzy: ...another guy called today wanting it mowed today. i told him i couldn't get to it until thursday since i will be in the area that day. he was like "that's not gonna work, i can't wait that long" ....it's only a few days...i told him " i mow 30 something yards i can't just drop all of them and come running to mow yours. :laugh:

i mean i had 7 yards to mow today. no time to throw a new one in. i'm just over these kind of people. where are the good customers? they are slowly dying one by one. it's getting to where i'm losing 5 customers or more every year now. i used to lose none or maybe just a couple. seems to be more turnover from year to year than ever before. it's just becoming more of a hassle each year to deal with it. people pass away, move, or whatever...it just keeps happening more and more each passing year. the "stability" in this industry is going away. it's getting kinda hectic and not very fun anymore.

i'm getting older. how long am i gonna be able to hold up doing this? will it somehow keep magically working out from year to year? i just feel like one day it's all gonna come crashing down and i'm gonna be up the creek without a paddle. who knows?

anyways i'm making it....for now. :laugh:

not so sure i wanna do this for 25 more years to be honest. there's not a lot of options out there though.

...still waking up every day looking for the light at the end of the tunnel though :D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  8. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

Getting out of my bed is how I provide for my family and allow my wife the luxury of staying home to raise our son. I might not have the nicest stuff or new vehicles but my family and pets are taken care of.

The best part of getting out of bed is finishing the work day and coming home to my almost 2 year old son hugging me and saying "da-da, da... da... daaaa!"

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

After my delicious breakfast. I look at my to do Calendar. Omg! Look in the mirror. Put a gun to my head. Do my best Clint Eastwood impression. Do you feel lucky punk? Click! Rats! Guess I got to go mow lawns !:laugh:

10. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol well I just got my laugh for the day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.