1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Best apparel for summer heat!!

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Wink'sLawnManag., Mar 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Wink'sLawnManag.

Wink'sLawnManag. LawnSite Member

Prepping for upcoming summer heat and just curious to know what the heat experts in FLA utilize to keep cool?Originally from Ft. Myers & lived in Daytona for years as a FLA native but wasn't doing lawn maintenance. Picking your guys brains as Savannah heat is no joke either . Best shirts, shorts/ pants you have found to work to steer me in right direction. Thanks for all the input and stay cool !!

Mike M likes this.
  2. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear sun pants , sun shirts, sun boxers, sun socks and a sun hat and sun face mask. All.this can be bought at Bealls. Extremely light weight and keeps you covered.

3. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Stage 4 biohazard suit this year, I think!

4. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

biohazard for home use. grass cutting will be shut down along with everything else. I sure hope not. If you cant cut grass for for many weeks we would be in trouble .

5. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Silver Member
    from usa

I've wanted to share this on LS for some time now, so I will do it here.

I am near Savannah. Here's some tips that work for me for heat, I apologize in advance if some of these are not good ideas for everyone.

Sometimes I sweat so badly it looks like I've peed myself, haha. I have realized that the actual clothes are only one part of the strategy. The other is my equipment and methods.

Clothes: Long t-shirt that covers down to my upper thigh, long cargo shorts, ankle socks (shorter than crews but over the ankle), light weight fishing hat. I get mine at Bass Pro (Savannah) to reduce heat off my face and neck, and light weight sneakers.

Not to wear: anything dry-fit or synthetic other than the hat. Sweat just goes down to my shorts like a waterfall and also into my sneakers. This year I searched on Amazon and found black cotton ankle socks by Gold Toe.

How to mow lawns is important: I invest in everything that burns less calories and I am much cooler. The following are from years of my own experience, something may work for you.

Equipment to help stay cooler:

--Lightweight handhelds (smallest backpack blower Stihl makes). You don't need to haul around a fall leaf blower for grass clippings. And I will never purchase another FS 111 or 110 or anything else over-built by the manu for handhelds. They just want you to use something very heavy duty that reduces warranty work IMHO.

--If you must do hedges, and you do them yourself, invest in hedgers with single sided blades. These are made for quick and easy trim work.

--Get a riding mower. I bought a 52" Scagg, as soon as I could afford it. I have up to 20 stops solo on many days, pull-starting a four cycle engine 20 times, multiplied by some extra pulls to get them started = a lot of fat and carb burning. Pulling my belt drive walk behind with a sulky off my trailer X 20 stops = more sweat.

--Using a 21" self-drive small walk behind mower for trim work and backyards is far easier than running behind a commercial 30" and then turning it without casters or steering controls. Better yet refuse jobs with a small gate in back, if you can.

--Racks: these on your trailer will save you all that lifting and hyper extension to get things in and out of your truck bed.

--Springs/assists for trailer gate.

My personal business plan to keep me less hot, again, works for me, I am a small owner-operator:

Avoid one-off clean-ups that don't lead to lawn service.
    Refer out for Chemicals, the resistance of a manual spreader is crazy especially if you need to do several lawns.
    Avoid hedges, if I do them, they must be on-going so I can blow clippings under the shrubs, etc.
    Refer out for pine straw installations.
    Refuse any hardwood mulch installations.
    Refer out tree work to tree companies, this includes huge overgrown hedges.
    If I do any of these, it's in the cooler off-season if possible.
    Watch out for the homeowner that tries to save money by hiring you to do heavy or unsafe things that tree companies and nurseries do with appropriate equipment and crews.
    Also, I have gotten out of the heat of the day sooner by concentrating on tighter route density.

Hope something in here is useful. Not only did these things cool me off, but I my business model is much more efficient.

Mike

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My only suggestion is a electric fan on the mower. Adjustable so it can blow air on your face or wherever the need is greatest. An extra fan in the cab of your truck might be a help. Buy an AC blower from any junkyard.
    Probably not practical--but can you put some kind of umbrella or sun shield on your mower--if it has a roll-bar?

Change your shirt a couple times per day, also. Trade off and let the first one dry--switch back.

Years ago (before AC) on the truck, we used to use the blower with a 1.5 inches corrugated hose attached--aim the blower down into your boot. Ahh...that feels so good. And now the left side.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    Wink'sLawnManag. likes this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Alot if great info in this post thanksThumbs UpThumbs Up

Times 10 :clapping:
    This comment should be a newby sticky thread

Its not a coincidence when customers ask the lawn guy to do tree work etc

They want to do it as cheap as possible and look for greenhorns to take advantage of :nod:

8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

Straw hat with some good size vent holes right above the band line. Everything else is optional. Bday suit, or jeans and a T. Just as long as you've got the straw hat. Since I don't want to scare off my clientele I also wear jeans and a company logo T FWIW.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Cover up to keep cool. While this seems counter-intuitive, it simply works. For an easy self-test during the heat of the day: try a visor for an hour - followed by a broad brimmed hat. This is what convinced me. So, from there I went to long sleeved teeshirts...and dang it, they work better than short sleeves. Yada X 3

Wink'sLawnManag. likes this.