Best Backpack Spray Wand

Alright guys, I like the Stihl backpack sprayer but have been using the Solo replacement spray wands but need to find a better one. The spring in the valve just isn't positive enough. It trails on for too long and the lever feels like weak mush in your hand.

I stopped using the Solo backpacks years ago when the mounting tabs on the tanks were changed and then became weak. Solo actually sent me a spam email about their products and replied telling them why I stopped using their stuff and they sent me a new backpack sprayer.

The Solo tank tabs are better now but the straps they come with are still on the anorexic thin side, are uncomfortable, and cheaply built.

Back to spray wands! who makes a decent spray wand that actually shuts off the flow like it should. I always use wands with plastic tubes and none of the brass ones because my guys will end up breaking them too easily. I appreciate the help. I'm a licensed applicator but I let another company do my lawn sprays. Backpack is just for bed weed spraying.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Silicone grease is an option. Slippery and highly resistant to moisture and chemicals.
Be sure to get premium O-rings and gaskets. Teflon type. Silicone rubber.
Ordinary rubber is attacked by some chemicals.
Cold weather will cause stiffness and poor sealing ability.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
Or viton o-rings. Fluorinated elastomers (like viton) are softer than teflon, and almost as chemical resistant.

Definitely do not just use any o-ring from a $7 kit for this purpose.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
At the auto-parts store it would be di-electric bulb grease, or better yet, Sil-Glyde (a tube of which should last you the rest of your life).

In most situations, I warn about not using petroleum based greases on o-rings, because it can cause buna o-rings to swell and break down (causing sticking), but in this case, if you actually have the proper viton o-rings, they'll stand up just fine to petroleum based greases. However, in this case, the solvency of the chemicals you're spraying will likely wash out any petroleum grease, and I think that's probably your issue. Silicone greases don't dissolve in much, and should stick around far longer.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've always liked the chapin spray wands but their not drip proof. They do shut off well and have a long lever to work against a stiff spring. Also I think keeping pressure high keeps the valve pressed tighter against the seal.
Also rural king has two types of spray wands that work well on my electric pumps.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
I've always liked the chapin spray wands but their not drip proof...
Are you talking about dripping out the nozzle when the valve is off because the tube is draining? A check valve behind the nozzle usually solves this. My B+G wands have the unique solution of moving the valve seat directly to the back of the nozzle. But those are metal, and not what the OP wants.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yes, have some trouble with liquid from the tube drip out and been meaning to put a check valve screen in the tip. But I think I'm getting a little bleed off through the actual valve too because it keeps leaking the next day after sitting. I try to depressurize before storing.