• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Best battery string trimmer to replace my Stihl KM90

Derwood

LawnSite Bronze Member
I looked seriously into battery models, with the Ego and Echo lines being top choices. Ultimately, going to just buy an Echo gasser this season and maybe revisit again next year.
I am coming full circle with my battery stuff. I have the Milwaukee 18v and it has made me money. With that being said, I am getting very close to needing to replace my batteries, and that's going to be a bit of a punch in the gut. This issue for me is, I have my 4 year old trimmer that needs new batteries. Do I invest that kind of money in batteries, for a trimmer that old? For me, I just can't do it. My batteries are on their last legs. When my 9AMP'ers go, I'm getting another RedMax, and will be all gas for trimmers. I have plenty of Milwaukee tools with the 5 and 6 amp batteries, and I'll use those in the blower.

As someone who's run that battery stuff for a few years, I am in complete agreement with your decision.

windflower

LawnSite Bronze Member
Got to an Echo dealer today. Home Depot not carrying battery Echo trimmers anymore....anyway he STRONGLY steered me away from attempting to use either Echo battery unit as daily user on a lawn trailer. Battery life aside, he said they just wont last. Said he had a couple municipalities try to go battery because they were directed to 'go green', and they burned up the electric motors pretty quick.

I did like the feel of both units, with the motor-on-head unit a little head heavy with the 2amp/hr battery (maybe would be balanced very nicely with the 4 amp/hr battery IDK.

I really wanted to get a battery unit on the trailer this year, paired with a gas, but maybe still a year or two too early? I don't want to be a guinea pig....
Not sure what that dealer hates about the echo unit. I've been using that one for at least 5 years now and regularly put a brush blade on it. After replacing the crappy shaft they use I've had 0 issues. I use a panel saw blade on it for pruning as well. It has stopped dead from full throttle thousands of times buy now.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
I am coming full circle with my battery stuff. I have the Milwaukee 18v and it has made me money. With that being said, I am getting very close to needing to replace my batteries, and that's going to be a bit of a punch in the gut. This issue for me is, I have my 4 year old trimmer that needs new batteries. Do I invest that kind of money in batteries, for a trimmer that old? For me, I just can't do it. My batteries are on their last legs. When my 9AMP'ers go, I'm getting another RedMax, and will be all gas for trimmers. I have plenty of Milwaukee tools with the 5 and 6 amp batteries, and I'll use those in the blower.

As someone who's run that battery stuff for a few years, I am in complete agreement with your decision.
Have you looked at aftermarket batteries?