Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been dealing with this crap for years and have yet to find an answer from my experience or others. what are the best blades to put on a tthp or toro z-master to cut bahaia grass? some people have said to use highlifts, while the online mower parts house im looking at says that low-lifts are the best. any help on this? while im posting i might as well ask what height do ya'll cut bahaia at, im not looking for responses that say what the best for the grass is. i want replies that tell me what deck height gets it cut in one pass. so some blade type/deck height combo answers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Best blade, dura to the max - razor sharp ones! of course. Yesterday I cut a couple acres of bahia the seeds were about a foot tall, the grass about 6". I cut it at 3.5" around 8-10 mph on the Super Z real clean. I use high lift, but have also used lows, both worked.

Try this little trick - lift the chute - the clippings fly out much quicker and better.

·
Registered
731 Posts
i have two exmarks ,the 36 with mulch kit and Waverly blades cut at 2.5 inch's
works very well 90% of the time,the 52 with mulch kit and Waverly blades sucks,go figure they are the same deck.now take the mulch kit off of the 52 and put on low lift blades and side discharge, cut no higher than 3inches ,this set up works very well.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I've done some experimenting on different lift blades on the bahia that i've been cutting. It has really greened up alot in the last week or so since we've gotten alot of rain,so the grass is thicker and the stems are shorter than usual right now, so I switched back to the std. lift blades (with the extended cutting edge (oregon) and I cut about 1.5 acres at the height of 3.25" and was able to cut it clean in one pass going about 9-10 mph. I then mowed another 2.5 acres and it was fairly thick but the stems were taller (about 14-16"). I cut it clean in one pass with the height set at 3.5" and i was going 7-8 mph on most of it. The ground was rougher also. I'll say that this grass was more like early summer, as far as toughness goes. But before the rains that we've had the last week and a half, The bahia had gotten very dry and tough and I was using the super high lift blades (with the extended cutting edge) because they seemed to cut the dry,tougher bahia cleaner then than the hi lift or std lift blades did. I was cutting it at 2.75 -3.0" then, since it was getting thinner but the stems were very tall and tough. I had to slow down some to get a clean cut in those conditions. Whatever you use, make sure that they're very sharp, especially if the bahia is pretty dry.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The Oregon blades that i've been getting have the extended cutting edge which, on my blades(21" long) means that all but the middle 6 or 7 inches is sharpened and i've been keeping them sharpened the same as they did from the factory. If nothing else, I think that the extended cutting edge helps chop up the clippings more before they are discharged out. The hi lifts that i tried didn't have the extended cutting edge and they tended to leave a few stems sometimes.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
ya, i agree with everybody else...SHARP BLADES, i use the gator magnums and have noticed by days end of cutting bahia i have to double cut cuz the seed head don't cut completely. here they are like 12inches tall. keep em sharp and have no problems.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Like Razorblades said it makes alot of difference if it's dry or if there is moisture in the stems. I use the low lift marbain blades for my scag, and if kept razor sharp they work great. The gator blades didn't impress me any.

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
I'm cutting it clean at 2.5 inches on a single pass with my Dixie. Oregon hi lifts. My problem isn't cutting it, it's getting rid of all of the clippings. I could cut it higher and not really have the clippings problem but then the grass doesn't look like it was cut. It just looks like I cut the seed stems off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm cutting it clean at 2.5 inches on a single pass with my Dixie. Oregon hi lifts. My problem isn't cutting it, it's getting rid of all of the clippings. I could cut it higher and not really have the clippings problem but then the grass doesn't look like it was cut. It just looks like I cut the seed stems off.
Seems like in that case double blades would help out?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I just ordered some new blades for the spring and one set is called out for bahia, their low lift, fwiw.
I got them from expressmowerparts.com and their listed as:
26-416FE Ferris 16-1/4" Low Lift Blade [email protected] $6.45. # Best choice for Bahia and Floratam grasses So we will see how well these work, I also ordered a few other models since I have 1.5 acres of Bahia too :dizzy:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well I just ordered some new blades for the spring and one set is called out for bahia, their low lift, fwiw.
I got them from expressmowerparts.com and their listed as:
26-416FE Ferris 16-1/4" Low Lift Blade [email protected] $6.45. # Best choice for Bahia and Floratam grasses So we will see how well these work, I also ordered a few other models since I have 1.5 acres of Bahia too :dizzy:
Tell us how they performed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sharp blades, very sharp blades, high lift, regular, gator, does not seem to make a lot of difference, keep um sharp. Open chute when possible to get stems and clippings out of deck.
We cut a lot of bahia and the above advice is about the best you will get. Sharp blades and get it out from under the deck. If it has to be mulched up like a residential yard go with low lift blades if it's a field or warehouse that doesn't have to look so great you can go with high lift and get the stems out from under the deck as fast as possible. We use low lift always just seems to work best for us we cut it anywhere from 2 3/4" to 3 1/4" depends on the place and how thick it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use low lift blades and space them down 1/2". This works good for me, but you have to be careful because your blades are more exposed. And of course, SHARP BLADES. Also, try to cut it in the morning before it gets hot and dried out. I cut it at 2 1/2" (deck set to 3" to make up the diff. of the 1/2" spacer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.