1. Countdown to live Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best bolts you can buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I need some really high quality, really strong 5/16 bolts. What kind/grade do I need to buy? I snapped one from Lowes which was just a standard bolt (long story).

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Caterpillar Tractors use a grade #9. or just go back to Lowes and get the grade #8.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, thanks.... looks like my thinking was backwards. I would have thought the cheaper bolts would be softer and just bend instead of snapping in half.

4. relakst

relakst LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Try aircraft-grade bolts.

5. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Grade 8 bolts should be plenty strong enough, if they aren't strong enough-I'd suggest going to a specialty supply store that specializes in fasteners

6. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Grade 8 bolts have 5 raised "stars" on the heads. They should be strong enough for most L/S engineering. Try checking if some other fastner has failed and is shifting the load to the bolt that is actually failing.

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you need some really good bolts, look into a company called ARP. They make all sorts of different fasteners for high performance applications. But they are expensive.

8. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

different bolts work good in differernt applications, sometimes different grades are more brittle than others thats why some lower grades might be a little more flexible instead of just snapping which usually takes a whole sh*t load of pressure

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am with Rookiemower, it depends on the application.

If you have something that takes alot of abuse and shock, you may want a grade 5, a grade 8 will be stronger, but will be more inclined to shear. Look at the bolts on plow rigs...grade 5. Look at the bolts used to mount big strong trailer hitches...grade 5. I don't think there will be much need for anything beside a 5 in a lawn type application.

Jay