Best Books for the Guy Starting Out.

D. R. Martin

LawnSite Member
I would like recommendations for two types of books.

#1.) Which book most comprehensively details the information useful when starting a residential landscaping business. Information in this book would cover such topics as how to acquire new customers (marketing), how to price your work, etc.

#2.) The other book I'd like a recommendation for would primarily provide instruction on landscaping techniques. For example, how to bring that golf course look to the home, striping, avoiding rutting, fertilizing, etc.

I'd prefer books that don't cost $60 a piece. But if there is a Holy Grail of landscaping books, I'd buy it.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Martin,

you don't want to spend $60 on a book to learn how to do a profession but are wanting to spend thousands and thousands on equipment you don't know how to use?

Why don't you simply just get a JOB with a company and work with them for a season, then go to another company, and another, after about three seasons who will know enough and have enough skills to do most things wrong.

It's the KNOWLEDGE that is valuable, not the GEAR.

OP
D

D. R. Martin

LawnSite Member
Martin,

you don't want to spend $60 on a book to learn how to do a profession but are wanting to spend thousands and thousands on equipment you don't know how to use?

Why don't you simply just get a JOB with a company and work with them for a season, then go to another company, and another, after about three seasons who will know enough and have enough skills to do most things wrong.

It's the KNOWLEDGE that is valuable, not the GEAR.

I'll accept your reproach because you have been very helpful with me concerning the information you've provided on previous threads. I tried to explain that I'm willing to spend $60 or so for a book that is truly worth it. I believe it was your suggestion a previous thread that gave me the idea to look for instruction in a book. I'm following that advice. But the book you suggested is only 60 pages, if I recall correctly. I've found other books that are 600 pages that cost about $10.

I want the best book. Not the most expensive. IF the best book IS the most expensive, then that is what I'll gladly buy.

LawnGuy110

LawnSite Bronze Member
I think what he's trying to say is the experience you would gain working for several companies will give you more knowledge than any book ever will

OP
D

D. R. Martin

LawnSite Member
Experience/ life is the best teacher. Books can help with theory but if you read a medical book you still ain't cutting me open
Posted via Mobile Device

I understand your point and agree with most of what you've said. However, cutting grass and performing open heart surgery aren't the same thing. I don't have the luxury of quitting my full time profession for an opportunity to work for $10 an hour on a local lawn crew. I have to settle for what knowledge I can gleam from interacting on this forum and what I can ascertain through reading. I'll charge more affordable rates until I master the skill sufficiently to charge more.

TTS

LawnSite Senior Member
I'll give you props for your commitment. Against all advice you're still pushing forward. My personal opinion on your plan aside I will recommend a couple books. You need to know that books won't give you a step by step process to create a million dollar business they merely provide a line of thought for you to use while building the business. Take a look at the E-myth landscape contractor for general landscape business principles. Also head on over to the planet book store and look around. The books there are a bit more than you would like to spend but planet is one of the only national professional green industry organizations so its worth the price. They have basic tech manuals as well as business related books.
Posted via Mobile Device

mwalz

LawnSite Bronze Member
I understand your point and agree with most of what you've said. However, cutting grass and performing open heart surgery aren't the same thing. I don't have the luxury of quitting my full time profession for an opportunity to work for $10 an hour on a local lawn crew. I have to settle for what knowledge I can gleam from interacting on this forum and what I can ascertain through reading. I'll charge more affordable rates until I master the skill sufficiently to charge more.

For the record i learned everything i know so far by just doing it. This was before i came across this forum too. I did onlione research for things, and that was enough to get me going for mowing. Landscaping is a totally different story though.

inzane

LawnSite Silver Member
the season will be over before we know it.. I'd just get some basic equipment and get out there and get to it! :drinkup:

I would like recommendations for two types of books.

#1.) Which book most comprehensively details the information useful when starting a residential landscaping business. Information in this book would cover such topics as how to acquire new customers (marketing), how to price your work, etc.

#2.) The other book I'd like a recommendation for would primarily provide instruction on landscaping techniques. For example, how to bring that golf course look to the home, striping, avoiding rutting, fertilizing, etc.

I'd prefer books that don't cost $60 a piece. But if there is a Holy Grail of landscaping books, I'd buy it.

Top Forums