Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a Husky Echo or Stihl can saw to use to cut firewood commercialy. I would like a comercial grade saw but am not sure how big is to big. I dont wont to buy to small either.

·
Banned
776 Posts
Depending on the size of wood you are going to be dealing with for the most part, I would suggest to you a 360 PRO. If you are only going to be dealing with small logs (less than 20" in diameter) then a 260 PRO should be fine. However if the people you get the wood from are going to drop off big suckers on a fairly regular basis I would recommend something more along the lines of a 440 magnum, or a 460 magnum.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I grew up in Wyoming (in the mountains) and spent more than my fair share of time cutting fire wood. During that time I was exposed to quite a few different makes and models of saws. What it always came down to was Husqvarna or Stihl. Nobody does it better than those two.

I was able to find a Husqvarna 55 Rancher w/ 20" bar on ebay. Only paid $200+$25 s/h. It cuts like a dream. I was looking the buy the same saw at Lowe's, but the lowest they would go was $425+tax. The only difference I could find was mine was used twice.

Good luck on your search. If you go to ebay don't buy from anybody with bad feedback.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Work its got the idea.
Get your self a Husky 55 and you wont look back. You want somthing thats going to do the job in a few different applications and the 55 is the way to go . And you Know your buying a good saw when its Huskvarna. I wouldn't buy any of their other equipment (mabey the stump grinder) except for there saws.
Bloody good saws mate!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I sell firewood and I use a Husky 372xp. That saw has power to spare and will increase your cutting time. Get a 20" bar and you should be fine. I have cut up some big suckers, over 24"dia, and never had a problem. My brother in law is a logger and all the local guys use Husky, mostly 372's. They will cost you around $550, but it is much faster than a rancher 55 or comparible size saw. I have not put a dime into my saw in the 3 years I have had it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Stihl 036 Pro! for general all around felling and cutting.

Go to Stihlusa.com, and they have a product selection guide which helps you choose the right saw. I used the selector and I am very pleased with the 036 (360- same thing).

Jimbo

·
Registered
197 Posts
we have 1 husky- and 2 stihls
The Husky has been sitting in the case for a year
Stihl's kick butt- I think they are much easyier to work on-
We have a 017 and 018 for cutting wood- I like them bc of light weight- paid under $300 ea.

I went gung ho in splitting wood last winter- It sucks- lot of work
We made quite a bit though- One big money maker was a 4x4x4 stacked on pallet- shrink wrapped- easy delivery- load w/ tractor on tralier, drop where they want it. Made $150 for 1/2 chord

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have owned homelite, stihl and husqvarna. I currently own 3 huskys, one which is over 20 years old, and they are definitely the best in my opinion.

Go for a 357xp, 359, or 372xp. Southwestern Fasteners has great internet deals. You will love husky.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I think all of us agree to disagree, but that's not a bad thing. What is important is that you now have a good idea of what brands to look at. As if there really is anything other than Stihl or Husqvarna chainsaws. Echo what....what....what? Now all you have to decide is what model would best suit your needs. For example, when making my choice I needed a strong all around saw so I compaired the Husky 55 Rancher to the Stihl 017. Both are great saws, but got a great deal on the Husky and bought it.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have used Stihl, Husqvarna and Partner. They have all been exceptional saws.
My only advice would be to spend the extra money and get the Pro model.
Well worth it.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.