Best Commercial Mower for 1/8th Acre Neighborhood Properties?

BigSpruceLawns

LawnSite Member
This is my first post here, and I have been searching the forums all day to no avail, so I feel like it's worth starting a topic. I am starting up a lawn and landscaping company, but primarily just doing lawns right now, and all within my neighborhood (lots are about 5000sq ft including house). For now I am using cordless electric equipment (Kobalt 40v 19" mower and blower, Ryobi 40v string trimmer with Expand-It attachments), and I have actually been very pleasantly surprised with the performance of all of them, and the ease of use and noise levels are really nice. However, it takes me 1-2 hours a lawn, which seems to be insanely slow compared to others here (I've heard several say they can do them in under 10 min which I don't understand).

Anyways, my question: What commercial mowers would be good for small neighborhood yards? I often have to negotiate around trees/flower beds, HAVE to fit through pretty small gates (probably around 36in, all single gates). I've been looking at 32-36" walk-behind mowers, the Exmark Commercial 30, and considered some 21" mowers. I just want the community's opinions on what would work for me. Also, many of the houses have very steep slopes on the side yard connecting the front and back, probably 30-45 degree slope, if that comes into play. I am just starting out, have almost no money, and won't buy a mower until I have the company funds to pay cash.

I think that's about it, let me know if you guys need any more information or clarification. By the way, I am SO glad I found lawnsite!:cool2:

OP
B

BigSpruceLawns

LawnSite Member
Well, my timeline just got pushed back farther... I realized I'll at LEAST have to get a truck, probably a trailer, to even be able to haul the dad gum thing no matter what it is! Any suggestions/advice on type of truck and the balance between getting a good deal and still having a vehicle that doesn't make your business look low quality to customers?

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
32" walk behind exmark with 15hp kawasaki

even an old truck looks good if the business lettering on doors is proffesional

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
my advice is going to sound really stupid, comparatively … but I think you should look into buying a used walker GHS and a decent 21"

A build it and they will come mentality.

Do it, or don't do it… stay on the beach or go swimming, don't just build a sandcastle in the surf.

alexschultz1

LawnSite Bronze Member
What's your budget?
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
B

BigSpruceLawns

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the advice guys! I probably don't want a riding mower, I like the exercise and I can pay more attention if I'm walking than riding ;).

As far as budget is concerned I don't really have one, it's just a matter of how long to wait to buy the stuff :). Right now I've only got 30 bucks in the company (been buying lots of tools and equipment) and I can't put more personal money in at the moment. I'll be getting about 90 every two weeks at the moment (literally JUST starting) and have a $370 landscape bid out I may get. So I guess if I get that landscape bid I have a semi-immediate budget of 450 or so. But, bigger mower (or gas equipment peruod) means I need a truck. Know of anyone in the Dallas Fort Worth area that wants to donate a truck? Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
B

BigSpruceLawns

LawnSite Member
I think for now I'll hold off on any new equipment (unless I absolutely have to) for awhile and just build up some funds and see where my business takes me. I think I may start moving more into landscaping than lawns, but may keep a mix. Just gotta first get money coming in, then see where it's coming from :).

Rob_In_MO

LawnSite Member
I started out with a small budget and an old GMC S-15 pickup (short bed). I saved and purchased a new Husqvarna AWD 22" variable speed mower from Lowes. It had the 190cc Honda engine, and is still running strong after almost 2-years. It see's 6-7 lawns a week not counting mine and trimming at the chruch (I only do this part time for now) and has been a great performer. Some on here would say it's not a great option, but the price was right and the QOC (quality of cut) was fine.

Top Forums