Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a commercial ztr for home use (who knows maybe my 14 yr old son will get ambitious and cut a few neighbor's yards). I have poured through countless threads and have asked numerous landscapers opinions, and have narrowed it down (I think) to 48 inch Exmark CT, 48 inch Ferris IS1500, 48 inch Toro Z400, or a Hustler (forget the model and deck size that was in this range). I would appreciate any and all points to consider as well as any areas you feel each is strong or weak in. Finally if it were your money and you were buying for my purpose, what would you get?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Bunzi, two things to consider. First, demo all the mowers mentioned and pick the one you like. Second, dealer support, if you dont have this I dont care what kind of mower you have. With that being said, of the mowers you mentioned I would look real hard at the Hustler. I have heard alot of rave reviews about them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QualityLawnCare4u said:
Bunzi, two things to consider. First, demo all the mowers mentioned and pick the one you like. Second, dealer support, if you dont have this I dont care what kind of mower you have. With that being said, of the mowers you mentioned I would look real hard at the Hustler. I have heard alot of rave reviews about them.
Thanks Quality.
The Toro dealer is no more than 3 miles from my home. The emark and ferris is about 30 miles and I have not located a Hustler dealer yet, but suspect there will be one at about the same distance as the exmark and ferris. Do you know if there is a Hustler in that range with about a 48 nch deck?

thanks again

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
bunzi said:
Thanks Quality.
The Toro dealer is no more than 3 miles from my home. The emark and ferris is about 30 miles and I have not located a Hustler dealer yet, but suspect there will be one at about the same distance as the exmark and ferris. Do you know if there is a Hustler in that range with about a 48 nch deck?

thanks again
To be honest, I have never priced any Husters. However, there has been alot of discussion on here about it. Use the searh feature at the top of the page and get ready for hours of reading on Hustlers. I personally like Deere myself. Their cheapest commercial is the 717 and it is around 5800 to 5900 last time I priced and I liked mine big time! Our toro dealer is so horrible I will not even go in his shop. I think their cheapest commercial is around 6100 (or here anyway) That is one with a 44 inch deck and a 17 Kaw.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
bunzi,Do you want a "commercial" machine or a "homeowner" commercial?

I'll give you an example. eXmark LCT4818BV
Lazer Z CT with a 48" deck and an 18HP Briggs&Stratton Vanguard Engine.

LHP4819KA,LHP4820KC or LHP4823KA

The above are Lazer Z HP's all with a 48" deck and HP ratings from 19 to 23 in Kohler and Kawasaki V twin's

Can you see the difference?

I know you will see it in the price but the extra HP and overall better build of the HP's would be worth the extra $$$$$ put out.

Rob

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I know that Hustler makes a fasttrack and a mini z that is supposed to be CLOSE to commercial but is still considered residentual. I believe the fastrack was somewhere in the 4s though and was well received. You might have to bump your price up to the 5500-5900 range to get what you want though. Remember, you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lazer Z,

Not really sure to be honest. Like the Turf doctor below us said, I will be mowing about 3-4 acres each week, and plan at this time to only cut my yard. I would like to have this be the last mower I buy, so a friend of mine suggested getting a commercial mower vs the residential models. Would you suggest one of the "hybrid models" for my use, or would you go for the true commercial? I have been quoted in my area 5800 for a 48in. lazer ct, 5300 for a ferris is1500 48 in., and 5000 for the 48 in. toro z400. Like I said, I have not ben quoted on the hustler or any of the hybrids types that you spoke of. If you recommend that type for my use, I will certainly begin seeking quotes on these models. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
bunzi, The LZHP machines are tried and true "Professional" riders. Did you ever consider a Hydro Walk Behind and a sit down velky? It would most likely be a "cheaper" form of a rider.

Let me know if you have any more questions on the eXmark line up I have a master product catalog in front of me.

Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rob,

Not sure what a velky is. I really wanted some type of rider vs one that I would have to walk behind or stand on. If you can tell me more about the velky I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I don't have any pics but, eXmark and I think another company make a seat the attaches to the back of the mower and it's just like having a rider the only difference is the deck and everything else is out front.

Tell ya what if you want to learn a ton of info in a short amount of time do 2 things visit as many mower manufactures web sites as you can and do a search here on LS you will be busy for days on end. The first places I can think of are exmark.com , toro.com , ferris.com , gravely.com and johndeere.com these are just a few. You could also go to wrightmfg.com and look at the sentaur (sp)? it's a rider that you can sit or stand on.

Hope this helps

Rob

bunzi, you made my brain hurt thinking up all the info I gave you lol :dizzy: :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
bunzi said:
Thanks for the advice...i had never thought of that. Anybody else here not a comedian like funny-boy here?
Say your yard is $35.00 per cut. 30 cuts per year. $1050.00 per year. Four years later, you've still only spent $4200.00. You, didn't have to lift a finger, pay for gas, trimmer line, servicing the equipment, nothing!!! Plus, you probably didn't even miss the $140.00 per month. No loans, credit card bills, or at best case, $4860.00 in your bank account. It's not really that funny. Of course you could have a monster size yard, but, it's still worth doing the math.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You definately want a rider with the amount of yard you will be cutting. Given the choices, I'd opt for the Toro but see if you can move up to the 52" deck with the Kawi engine. Dealer support is also important as mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Okay, bump your budget and buy 1 mower that will last the rest of your life. I was at the dealer today, and some home owner, much like you, bought a 72" hustler super z with a 27 liquid cooled Kawi. Sweet machine to say the least. He is cutting six acres a week, and will never have to buy a mower again. I think he paid around 8,500 but if this is way out of your budget, may I suggest my exact model a super mini z 25 hp Kawi and 52" deck. This mower would serve you well and would be in 6k to 7k range. Demo, demo, demo.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.