• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Best deal? Bobcat 36'' or 48''

kharrington

LawnSite Member
I have the chance to buy a new Bobcat Classic 36'' for $2795 or a 48'' for $2865, 50 percent of my busniess is gated and 50 not. Not sure If I should plan for the growth of the business (48) or buy the 36. I have a craftsman 33'' I just started with but it want last much longer. please advise.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

lawns Etc

LawnSite Silver Member
I would go 48 and keep the Craftsman for the gated yards. You can always add a larger gate at your customers expense its not much $$ and you both win.

oakwdman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've never heard of a customer who will pay you to put a larger gate in their fence just because your mower wont fit. I'm sure theres 10 other lawn guys in your town that have a 36" that could do their back yard. I would go 36" right now. Even that in open spaces will be better than your 33". Pick up a used 48" down the road. It would be the same theory as buying a 9' snow plow when half of your driveways are 8' wide.

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
What size are your gates? Toro makes a 40" machine that will give a more compact wheelbase which will follow the ground better than a staggered blade 36".

lawnboy852

LawnSite Member
Its a question of overall time. How much grass can you cut without going through gates? If it is a good amount, go 48, get it done quicker. If MOST of the mowing to be done on gated props. is THROUGH the gate, go 36. A 36 is a good size machine, and can go EVERYWHERE your 48 would.

I would say go 36 generally......

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
If you trust your 33 for awhile, then get the 48.
Of course, if your 33 breaks down, then a 21 is the next call...
Will this 36 fit through all/most/none of your gates that your 33 will?
Seeing as you don't trust your 33, and if you have a decent 21...then get the 48.
Otherwise, the 36 will go way more places than the 48 ever will.

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
36 wont always fit. You should go with a 32" and a 48". Get the 48 now.
^^^^ This is PURE Wisdom. I amend my above opinions........to this above.

Fwiw, I use a 32 only...no 21 needed or transported. A wider mower is my next move at the end of '10.