1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Best fuel stabilizer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazyflyboy30, Mar 14, 2013.

  1. birddseedd

    birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,111

    sorry. was a typo. meant to say "arnt" clogged.

    basically what product to clean any residue buildup every once in a while?
  2. GrassGuerilla

    GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,440

    With ethanol treated gasoline, you shouldn't have any of the old gunk buildup. Ethanol (alcohol) is a potent solvent.

    I've actually witnessed Lucas injector cleaner apparently clean dirty injectors. A friend had just bought an Isuzu Amigo. It ran rough with poor acceleration. No change after plugs and wires. While I was in the car with him it began running noticeably better. Said he had run one tank of lucas treated gas already and was on the second. Engine smoothed out, and was running great that afternoon. I think most fuel treatment is snake oil. But Lucas appears to have worked. Just a fluke?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. birddseedd

    birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,111

    I dont think it was a fluke. I had the exact same results with sea foam in an old vfr bike i had.

    but. if ethanol is a solvent,,,, then i guess i am missing the point in most of the conversation in this thread.

    everyone has been saying that ethanol is bad because it gums up carbs and you have to clean the carb???
  4. TuffTurfLawnCare

    TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 667

    People are confusing the two issues. Ethanol doesnt "Gum" up the carbs. "Gum" was varnish left when fuel went stale, dried up in the carb bowl or tank. It turned into a thick brown goo. This was from the days prior to ethanol.

    With the ethanol, we have corrosion of aluminum and rubber parts from the ethanol. This is what clogs the fuel systems, but people still refer to it as "gum" even though its actually aluminum oxide (white powder) and bits of non-ethanol resistant rubber, coupled with water.
  5. birddseedd

    birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,111

    so if Lucas and sea foam will not clean it. what will? what are vehicle manufacturers doing to prevent the problem?
  6. GrassGuerilla

    GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,440

    So far I haven't found anything that will magically clean the damage of ethanol. Only cleaning, or in some cases rebuilding or replacing fuel system components including filters, lines and carbs. The fact that some people simply run it with no apparent problem. And others use varying stabilizers, it's hard to say what works, and what's snake oil. I can attest that Sea foam really works. When real gas gets old and varnishes, sea foam has worked wonders. Using sea foam on ethanol damaged parts is simply misguided. Even Sea Foam makes no claim as to it combating ethanol. It's simply a holdover.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. birddseedd

    birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,111

    so will the ethanol itself clean the oxidation "dust" that is a result of using ethanol?
  8. crazyflyboy30

    crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama
    Messages: 372

    The 4 wheels and mowers I have work on for other people was so bad the fuel would not go in the carburetor.
  9. birddseedd

    birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,111

    so is it going to be eating away at my cyl walls on my truck?
  10. Richard Martin

    Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,699

    If you let ethanol gas evaporate you'll still have the gunk. Solvents, any solvents, only work if you wash the dissolved gunk away. If you only dissolve the gunk but leave it in place, the solvent will eventually evaporate leaving the gunk behind. Remember, ethanol gas in only 10% ethanol. The rest is 90% gasoline and it's additives. If you leave the fuel line open all winter and the fuel can evaporate from the carb, only to be replaced by more fuel from the gas tank, the end result will still be a gunked up carb.

Share This Page