Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Today decided to trim my hedges because they were starting to look really scary - you know ours is the last to get done - and when I get everything ready to trim--the trimmers lock up and well, got the other pair and they are messed up too. Yes, I had the extension cord plugged in - before you start with that - the hedge trimmers have served me well and it is time for new ones.

I use the electric, because they seem to be lighter, which of course is easier for me to use. The cord thing is a total pita, I cannot count how many cords I have cut through over the past 5 yrs. Thought about getting an hedge trimmmer extension thingy for my echo split boom, but I still will need a good hedge trimmer.

??????????MY question is - what is a good brand of electric or LIGHTWEIGHT gas ( which would be better ) hedge trimmer and if you have an approximate price??????????????

Thanks for any help. ;)

·
Banned
4,203 Posts
Mowerbabe,
Only you can answer the question of what works for you.
Go to dealers and check out as many quality trimmers as you can.
The weight issue can only be answered by you.
As for price you are looking at 250.00-350.00 for good quality.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Might be something to think about.....the company which makes the small Mantis tiller, makes an attachment for hedges. A customer of mine has one......it was extremely light, although that is all I know about them.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Go to the Louisville Expo, and try all the commercial brands of gas and electric. Best place to make real comparisons, and you'll never find so many brands in three or four mower shops. If you find one that is especially good for you, they will tell you who dealers are in your area. I have to go 20 miles for my Shindiawa tools and parts, but the fit and function (to me) of these machines is well worth it.

And decent gas hedge trimmers will get you done in about 1/4 the time it takes with standard electrics. I think Little Wonder still has an electric if the weight is a major concern.

·
Banned
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be probably going to the GIE in St Louis. And yes, weight is the primary concern - but if I could find a gas trimmer that wasnt overly heavy I would definitely be happier than with electric.

·
Registered
952 Posts
the res echo trimmer is very light maybe 8 or 9 lbs

·
Registered
714 Posts
MOWER-BABE -- Try the Echo SHC-210, it is a medium length shaft trimmer that is held and controlled with both hands comfortably (good balance), it is a lot heavier than an electric but the balance and ease of use should make you forget that. No pesky cords.
BobR

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've trimmed a lot of hedges with an electric Little Wonder that was built in the 70's (or early 80's) No problems. (still runs fine, no repairs) I keep the cord slung over my shoulder so I don't risk cutting it. I always figured hedge trimming a cord was asking for a shock.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hi Mowerbabe,

Here is the lightest weight gas trimmer I could find. Just to give you something to compare and contrast with.

Specifications:
Antivibration yes
Blade Length 22 in.
Engine 21 cc, 2 cycle
Fuel Type gas-oil mix
Lock Switch yes
See-Through Fuel Tank yes
Weight 9.6 lbs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm surprised you're not getting more response on this. It seems like the subject of hedge trimmers comes up a lot. Maybe people are tired of talking about it. Could be a good idea to do a search and read through past postings here. It seems like Redmax is mentioned a lot.

I started out using cheap Black and Decker trimmers and trashed them pretty quick (switch broke). But they were very light-weight and cut better than the commercial models I have used since.

I next got a Little Wonder trimmer, also electric. Probably $200 or $250. Somehow they just didn't seem to cut like the B&D even though they are supposed to be "the best". Also gets old setting up the cord and then rolling it up. And I did cut one once and had to fix it.

Later I got a monster Echo from Ebay. I thought it was supposed to be a really long one, but it turned out to be just long enough to be cumbersome to use but not long enough to really help with tall hedges. Also heavy, loud, dirty smoke, lots of vibration. And didn't seem like that great of a cut.

I went back to just using hand shears, which seems to be much easier for me and does a much better job. And compared to the machines I was using, doesn't even take any longer. I was finding I needed to go back over hedges with hand shears after trimming anyway. I do lots of trimming with hand shears every week. I got some good ones made by Bahco from A.M.Leo.

I have been thinking of getting a gas-powered trimmer though. Might be a time saver on some jobs - if they were easy to use and made a good cut. Not a lot of Redmax dealers around here, but I would like to check these out.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.redmax.com/products/line.cfm

The 20" double-sided is 10.7 lbs.

It would be great to try out the singe and double-sided types. There must be a reason why they have full lines of both. Another thing that has been discussed a lot here also, I'm sure. So I'll probably do some more reading on this here later too.....

·
Registered
305 Posts
We use the gas powered Stihl HS 45. I can handle them just fine. They are 10 pounds.

Amanda

·
Registered
140 Posts
MB,
I was just at Lowes last night and they had a sweet Husky gas powered. I am 6'5" and this thing was huge! I would be great on hedge rows, but not small delicate work. They also had a (don't laugh) weed eater brand that was much more manageable. I got my dad a crapsman gas about 5 yrs ago (he too cut cords) and that is not too bad to handle. At my house I use a B&D corded. To me it is just easier to handle on my small shrubs. I picked up a B&D 14.4V cordless on clearance, but I have not got a battery for it to know how it will work.

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.