Best herbicide to eradicate 10 acres of bahia

goatchay

LawnSite Member
Hi All,
I am hoping that someone can share their knowledge with me. I am looking to eradicate about 10 acres of well established bahia grass on my own property.

It was seeded years ago by the previous owner and is a pretty hardy/thick crop. I plan to blanket spray the entire property and really want this stuff gone, it's a nightmare.

The property hasn't been cut in a about 2.5 years. The grass is several feet tall.

I do have some St. Augustine in the area that I would like to spare, but if it dies also it won't be the end o the world I guess.

However, I do have several live oak trees that I obviously don't want to harm.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for the proper herbicide. MSMA? Just use Roundup?

I'd like to reclaim this property and after the grass is decomposing I plan to use a flail mower on it.

BTW I am located in south Louisiana. Hot weather and very long growing seasons etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

AnotherOkie

LawnSite Senior Member
Msm is great choice to kill bahia. I can't comment on the st augustine. Msm can be tough on oak trees, especially in the fall. You might play with msm and see what you think. It is cheap.

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the reply Okie! And thanks for the info about the oaks. That is my main concern...I am willing to fry everything else but under no circumstances do I want the oaks harmed, they are pretty old, beautiful, and the only trees that I have on the property, along with a few water oaks.

The problem is that there is a rolling hill/grade and it all leads down to the oak trees, so I am worried about leaching etc. I don't know how far that stuff can travel?

Thanks again buddy!

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm guessing it's mainly Bahia except for a small part of SA ?

What are you planning on replacing the Bahia with ?

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
glyphosate based herbicides (roundup) only kill if it is sprayed on the green parts of the plant, it will not harm your trees unless you actually spray it (or get overspray) on the leaves of the trees....once it hits the soil it does nothing to plants (or trees). Glyphosate blocks chlorophyll production on any green part of a plant it is sprayed on with sufficient coverage.

What do you plan to have growing on the property if not bahia? St. Augustine is pretty temperamental and requires pesticides and irrigation to stay healthy and thick while Bahia is pretty much self sustaining once established. Where I am in FL bahia grass is really the only option for a field like that short of weeds and trash grass's unless you have more money than you know what to do with.

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the reply Dawson. I'm not a lawn guy/professional etc., but I have had a few lawn guys tell me that in spite of what we all think about Roundup and it's application, that if an oak tree and chutes sprouting up at the base and they are sprayed with roundup, it can indeed harm the tree. Don't know if that's accurate.

Everyone here has St. Augustine. Maybe a few centipede lawns, which I actually would like...I have heard that it doesn't grow as tall as St. Augustine. The house on this property had St. Augustine around it, but the house/lawn portion and livestock pastures sort of blend together and the Bahia has overtaken the St. Augsutine.

Bahia is considered a major nuisance here. It was only planted because the previous owner had 5 horses on the land to graze and was tired of buying hay.

The only people here with it are guys that bale it. When I read about people actually having lawns of bahia and I had to re-read it lol. I can't imagine that.

Once it's dead, I was either going to seed the rest of it with something or pray the St. Augustine re-establishes itself. I don't care if it stays dirt lol.

Once I get it killed and cut and I'm able to maintain it and cut it often, as well as subsequent sprayings, I was hoping that the Bahia will eventually not be able to grow there.

That's interesting, there are lots of people here with lawns that big that are only composed of St. Augustine. Not rich folks either lol. It's very rural here and folks all tend to own several acres. I've got a buddy with one of those Ferris 5100Z's with the 33hp Cat/Perkins engine and his yard is about 12 acres I think.

I have actually borrowed that mower a few times to try to cut this grass when it was not so overgrown. But even at around 6 inches, it just either lays flat or whips around the spindles like a tornado, but not much of it gets cut and discharged. And even at that height, I was crawling and the Ferris was working hard, with new blades.

I tried to cut it with a flail mower. It went great for about 30 feet. But then the bahia got sucked into the bearings on the cuttershaft and smoked them. I couldn't even believe how hard it was to clear that mess up. I would have rather messed with untangling wire.

I tried burning it clear of the mower with a torch and still couldn't. Just had to lay there and pick at it with a small knife for forever, it was like knotted rope.

Thanks Dawson, I appreciate the reply!

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the reply Dawson. I'm not a lawn guy/professional etc., but I have had a few lawn guys tell me that in spite of what we all think about Roundup and it's application, that if an oak tree and chutes sprouting up at the base and they are sprayed with roundup, it can indeed harm the tree. Don't know if that's accurate.

Everyone here has St. Augustine. Maybe a few centipede lawns, which I actually would like...I have heard that it doesn't grow as tall as St. Augustine. The house on this property had St. Augustine around it, but the house/lawn portion and livestock pastures sort of blend together and the Bahia has overtaken the St. Augsutine.

Bahia is considered a major nuisance here. It was only planted because the previous owner had 5 horses on the land to graze and was tired of buying hay.

The only people here with it are guys that bale it. When I read about people actually having lawns of bahia and I had to re-read it lol. I can't imagine that.

Once it's dead, I was either going to seed the rest of it with something or pray the St. Augustine re-establishes itself. I don't care if it stays dirt lol.

Once I get it killed and cut and I'm able to maintain it and cut it often, as well as subsequent sprayings, I was hoping that the Bahia will eventually not be able to grow there.

That's interesting, there are lots of people here with lawns that big that are only composed of St. Augustine. Not rich folks either lol. It's very rural here and folks all tend to own several acres. I've got a buddy with one of those Ferris 5100Z's with the 33hp Cat/Perkins engine and his yard is about 12 acres I think.

I have actually borrowed that mower a few times to try to cut this grass when it was not so overgrown. But even at around 6 inches, it just either lays flat or whips around the spindles like a tornado, but not much of it gets cut and discharged. And even at that height, I was crawling and the Ferris was working hard, with new blades.

I tried to cut it with a flail mower. It went great for about 30 feet. But then the bahia got sucked into the bearings on the cuttershaft and smoked them. I couldn't even believe how hard it was to clear that mess up. I would have rather messed with untangling wire.

I tried burning it clear of the mower with a torch and still couldn't. Just had to lay there and pick at it with a small knife for forever, it was like knotted rope.

So you vote for Roundup? I have never sprayed anything this tall before. It's about 3 plus feet tall...I wonder how much coverage/penetration I will get with the boomsprayer or if it will only wet the top of the grass. I wish that I had a wick boom, this sprayer actually just has the boom nozzle, not the actual boom.

Thanks Dawson, I appreciate the reply!

brydan

LawnSite Member
I was going to say, a wick boom with gly for the first few apps might be a better bet than trying to do it all with MSM. MSM can only be sprayed a couple times a year and with the area being that overgrown and unable to mow, another control method would be helpful.

I tried to renovate a section of an overgrown pasture area one time and it wasn't a quick, spray it once and done process. It had St Augustine intermixed from many years prior so I was trying to preserve it. After a few seasons it looked decent but I was using pre-ems, 3 ways, MSM. Once the St Augustine gets reestablished and mowed regularly it'll largely outcompete everything but it's height challenged so if regular mowing stops taller weeds can take back over.

scagman52

LawnSite Senior Member
Hi All,
I am hoping that someone can share their knowledge with me. I am looking to eradicate about 10 acres of well established bahia grass on my own property.

It was seeded years ago by the previous owner and is a pretty hardy/thick crop. I plan to blanket spray the entire property and really want this stuff gone, it's a nightmare.

The property hasn't been cut in a about 2.5 years. The grass is several feet tall.

I do have some St. Augustine in the area that I would like to spare, but if it dies also it won't be the end o the world I guess.

However, I do have several live oak trees that I obviously don't want to harm.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for the proper herbicide. MSMA? Just use Roundup?

I'd like to reclaim this property and after the grass is decomposing I plan to use a flail mower on it.

BTW I am located in south Louisiana. Hot weather and very long growing seasons etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Maybe a sod company would remove it to sell it. Work a deal for them to take it out for free.

Top Forums