Best herbicide to eradicate 10 acres of bahia

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
Does grass go dormant aka turn brown and quit growing in winter where you are ?
It depends on the year ArTurf. In 2017 we had a hard freeze for about 3 days and also some snow for the second time in my 50plus years.

Usually grass here doesn't go dormant for long though. Very minimally. The growth will slow with the shorter days, but there are times in January and Feb that it is still green and growing and people are cutting, albeit not nearly as often. During the summer you can watch it grow and lots of folks cut even small lawns twice per week.

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
Goatchay
Do this. Spray a test area with Gly, maybe 15' or so square. Keep us informed on what you see with weekly AND monthly reports
Thanks ArTurf. I will try to get some pictures and show what I am dealing with. I can certainly spray it with Gly and update. I've got several gallons right now.

Truthfully, I don't know how much I will be able to do small patches etc. I am about to undergo some hardcore chemo for the next year culminating with a bone marrow transplant which will leave me hospitalized for a few months.

That is sort of what is behind my urgency with this and my desire to just go scorched earth with it. Before I start these treatments, I just need to have the peace of mind that it is either dead/stunted for several months or at least lopped over and decomposing. If I didn't have a house and barn on the property I would be burning all of the grass. I just don't want to take a chance with any structures.

It's already gotten away from me for the past 2 years and I don't want to come out of the hospital and it have another year's growth on top of it to deal with, then who knows...if I'm not in the condition to mess with it then, then I'll have to keep waiting and probably get a dozer involved etc. which I definitely can't afford. Or a skid steer with a mulcher and I can't afford that either.

So that's why I'm not taking diesel off the table like someone suggested lol.

Maybe I will try to mix the Gly and the MSM granules I have and spray it all at once and just try to avoid the oaks. I've got a 110 gallon 3 point sprayer with a boom nozzle, not a proper boom. I just need to stop it in it's tracks right now as step 1. Plus I was hoping that spraying now would also serve to get it off to a slow start when it wants to regrow after the winter.

Thank you all again for the input.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
What kind of mower do you have or intend to buy to mow this? I would leave it for winter kill then have somebody mow it if you are unable. I would take care of my health and forget about this pasture. Good Luck

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
If burning it is an option, you may want to consider cutting it with a bush hog this winter and burning it. In the spring hit it with a heavy dose of Cimmaron when the sprouts are young and tender.
Hi Johnshandyman. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Bush hogging is not an option though, the bahia is too thick. It's not the upper growth so much and the woody stuff, it's the base, the bottom foot or so. The bahia was seeded here and it is very hardy and SUPER thick/dense at it's base.

I've tried bush hogging with 45hp and 85hp. It just lays over or wraps around the stumpjumper and just gets torn a little and bogs down the mower instantly.

Even when it was only 1 foot tall or so, it bogs down the bush hog. It's just not woody enough. It's willowy and ropey and just bends over and swirls around.

I tried cutting it with my flail mower and it did a great job for about 30-40 feet and the the bahia got sucked up into the bearings on the cuttershaft and smoked them.

It was a chore trying to get this stuff untangled from the mower, it's like rope. I had to burn it out of the mower with a torch and that still took forever.

Possibly if we get a cold enough winter and it all goes dormant, then I will try to bush hog again if it is dormant enough and dries out. Thanks for the tip on Cimarron also.

Last edited:
OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
What kind of mower do you have or intend to buy to mow this? I would leave it for winter kill then have somebody mow it if you are unable. I would take care of my health and forget about this pasture. Good Luck

Hi Ed, thanks for the reply and the well wishes and concern. I appreciate it and need all that I can get. Unfortunately our winters down here in south Louisiana are not dependably cold enough to make everything dormant and dried out. Some years it they are cold, some it's like we don't even have a winter, which is a shame because I love the cold weather.

I can't afford to have someone else come cut it.

I have a 45hp deere tractor to cut it with, along with a 5ft Mott flail mower and bush hog, but it is too thick for the bush hog even when it is short and only a foot tall. It is just very very dense at the base.

I tried the flail mower last year and it word perfectly for about 30 feet. Almost made this jungle look like a golf course. And that is with 20 plus year old blades on the flail.

The problem is that the bahia got sucked up into the cuttershaft bearings and smoked them. At 100 per bearing, I'm not trying it again. But the flail DID cut it all down with ease.

Some of the newer flails have better wire protection etc at the bearing carriers than this old Mott. Plus the newer ones you can get the hammers, mine has the fine cut Y knives.

Thank you Ed.

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
This was it 2 years ago. It is just EXTREMELY dense and thick at it's base. It's so heavy that it can't stand up on it's own and just lays over like this. It makes incredible hay fwiw.

Attachments

• WP_20180803_12_14_06_Raw - Copy.jpg
    WP_20180803_12_14_06_Raw - Copy.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 33
  • WP_20180803_12_15_30_Raw - Copy.jpg
    WP_20180803_12_15_30_Raw - Copy.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 35

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I used to mow / bale hay when I was a teenager. I used a sickle type mower, think that would work for you?

What I've been leading up to is I don't think you really want to "kill" the Bahia. Realize if you do truly kill it Mother Nature will grow something else in it's place that will be as much if not more of a problem and probably be more unsightly. I'll tell you a story in a second.

What I really think you want to do is:
#1 get the grass down to a reasonable height. This might be easier done when the grass goes dormant or as dormant as it's going to get.

#2 From a chemical standpoint what you want to do is regulate the growth aka slow it down. You could do this with very light applications of the mentioned Glyphosate or MSM (Metsulfuron). If there's St. Aug present the MSM wouldn't harm it and at those light rates it shouldn't harm the Oak trees.

Here's the story:
There was this guy, kind of a deekhead, want me to spray his yard with my magic juice aka weed control. I checked the yard out and determined his yard was mainly what I would classify as weeds, Bahia and other wild stuff. Most of the nice yards in my area are St Aug or Centipede like your area. I told him I didn't advise spraying his yard as it would only open the door for a host of other even less desirable things. He kept on and on and I would explain it over and over. I finally did it just to shut him up and give him what he deserved. I sprayed it and just as I predicted Mother Nature unleashed a multitude of Plants, what we call weeds. Looked like sheet BTW. He proceeded to tell me I didn't know what I was doing and would tell everyone how incompetent I was. I reminded him of my earlier statements and predictions. I made sure to do this all on text so I would have a record of every conversation.

Hope this helps.
Good luck with your battle with cancer

Top Forums