Best herbicide to eradicate 10 acres of bahia

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
I used to mow / bale hay when I was a teenager. I used a sickle type mower, think that would work for you?

What I've been leading up to is I don't think you really want to "kill" the Bahia. Realize if you do truly kill it Mother Nature will grow something else in it's place that will be as much if not more of a problem and probably be more unsightly. I'll tell you a story in a second.

What I really think you want to do is:
#1 get the grass down to a reasonable height. This might be easier done when the grass goes dormant or as dormant as it's going to get.

#2 From a chemical standpoint what you want to do is regulate the growth aka slow it down. You could do this with very light applications of the mentioned Glyphosate or MSM (Metsulfuron). If there's St. Aug present the MSM wouldn't harm it and at those light rates it shouldn't harm the Oak trees.

Here's the story:
There was this guy, kind of a deekhead, want me to spray his yard with my magic juice aka weed control. I checked the yard out and determined his yard was mainly what I would classify as weeds, Bahia and other wild stuff. Most of the nice yards in my area are St Aug or Centipede like your area. I told him I didn't advise spraying his yard as it would only open the door for a host of other even less desirable things. He kept on and on and I would explain it over and over. I finally did it just to shut him up and give him what he deserved. I sprayed it and just as I predicted Mother Nature unleashed a multitude of Plants, what we call weeds. Looked like sheet BTW. He proceeded to tell me I didn't know what I was doing and would tell everyone how incompetent I was. I reminded him of my earlier statements and predictions. I made sure to do this all on text so I would have a record of every conversation.

Hope this helps.
Good luck with your battle with cancer

Hey ArTurf,
Thanks for the input and especially for the well wishes and concern, that really means a lot to me.

I have thought about what might happen if all dies. It can't look any worse than it does now man. And I'm not concerned with how it looks if it's short. I don't have a neighbor for miles, only cows. I care about it getting too overgrown for me to be able to handle it personally, even if I am in good health at some point. If I get to where I have 4inch diameter stuff growing in there, then it is beyond my capability to mess with in terms of my equipment.

Basically I am trying to make this the least possible burden for someone else i if I can't tend to it after my treatment is over.

That is why I just want to go Agent Orange onall of it. If it got down to dirt, that is the best case scenario. No other weeds can be harder to eradicate or more unsightly than this crop of bahia. And it's density prevents me from getting in the middle of to cut down the saplings and woody stuff that is getting bigger by the day.

I absolutely don't care one iota what it looks like after spraying, which is why I wouldn't think twice about burning it if it weren't for the structures there.

I just want it gone at any costs and will deal with the consequences later. My original plan was to spray it multiple times per year and after the spraying, till it under about 6 inches to elimnate the rhyzome mat and eventually get rid of it all that way.

My health just isn't up to that much time in the tractor seat right now, but hopefully after my treatment I will pursue that same method. Right now, I am severely out of breath after I take a sip of water from a glass and super fatigued. That is the main symptom of the type of cancer I have.

So I am just trying to buy time. There is nothing more that I want than for this stuff to be DEAD AND GONE, at least for now. If I am in shape enough to tend to it next spring/summer then so be it.

But I don't want it progressing any further and if something happens to me, a member of my family will have to pay someone to come out there and clear the land with a skid steer mulcher/dozer in order to sell my house. I am trying my hardest to avoid putting someone in that position.

I am open to just keeping it stunted with Gly, but it has to be knocked down first, it is beyond that point. I have looked into the calculations for that but I don't know what I did with my numbers.

There was actually a lawn company here that had rigged up a system to secretly spray a light application of Gly under his deck. He had a contract to spray pumping station etc out in the middle of nowhwere for oil and gas companies, but they specified that he not use Gly.

These are just fenced in areas with pipes rising out of the ground in the middle of the swamp basically, so I don't know why they didn't want him to spray. Anyway, I thought that was a funny story.

Lol I know jerks exactly like you are describing. You do exactly what they want after you try to protect them from themselves and then they get mad at you lol. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Honestly a heavy duty flail with hammers vs knives and mainly better wire protection than the one I have would solve all of this with no spraying necessary.

My flail was doing great until the bahia got sucked into the bearings. There just isn't a guard on mine or any way that I can fabricate one based on how this thing is put together.

But there are some modern ones that have a concentric pieces of pipe/metal surrounding the cuttershaft to prevent foreign stuff getting in there.

If I had one of those, problem solved...even if I am too sick to drive the tractor I could get a buddy to do it. But I don't have type of mower and can't afford it.

Regarding the sickle, most hay guys around here have abandoned them due to maintenance. There are so many anthills around here and apparently they dull the sickle mowers up pretty quickly.

Most guys around here use disc mowers. I have contemplated getting a drum mower, which would be great for this and cheaper than the flail plus low maintenance. There are 2 guys on craigslist here with Kuhn PZ flails that are pretty ancient and reasonably priced, but they are not responding.

Thanks again!

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
I used to mow / bale hay when I was a teenager. I used a sickle type mower, think that would work for you?

What I've been leading up to is I don't think you really want to "kill" the Bahia. Realize if you do truly kill it Mother Nature will grow something else in it's place that will be as much if not more of a problem and probably be more unsightly. I'll tell you a story in a second.

What I really think you want to do is:
#1 get the grass down to a reasonable height. This might be easier done when the grass goes dormant or as dormant as it's going to get.

#2 From a chemical standpoint what you want to do is regulate the growth aka slow it down. You could do this with very light applications of the mentioned Glyphosate or MSM (Metsulfuron). If there's St. Aug present the MSM wouldn't harm it and at those light rates it shouldn't harm the Oak trees.

Here's the story:
There was this guy, kind of a deekhead, want me to spray his yard with my magic juice aka weed control. I checked the yard out and determined his yard was mainly what I would classify as weeds, Bahia and other wild stuff. Most of the nice yards in my area are St Aug or Centipede like your area. I told him I didn't advise spraying his yard as it would only open the door for a host of other even less desirable things. He kept on and on and I would explain it over and over. I finally did it just to shut him up and give him what he deserved. I sprayed it and just as I predicted Mother Nature unleashed a multitude of Plants, what we call weeds. Looked like sheet BTW. He proceeded to tell me I didn't know what I was doing and would tell everyone how incompetent I was. I reminded him of my earlier statements and predictions. I made sure to do this all on text so I would have a record of every conversation.

Hope this helps.
Good luck with your battle with cancer

Here is the type of wire guard that I wish I had on my flail to prevent the bahia from getting sucked into the bearings.

Also a pic of a drum mower. This would work great, I think it is more of a European thing, or maybe up north...most hay guys around here have not heard of them.

Once the drums get spooled up and spinning, they can take out a lot more than you would think, all that inertia does not stop on a dime.

Also here is a link to a video of a drum mower...the 3rd lot that they cut at around the 2:37 mark is close to what I am dealing with.

Attachments

• drum mower.jpg
    drum mower.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Inkedimg-5284-1328851_LI.jpg
    Inkedimg-5284-1328851_LI.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 28

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Maybe was suggested already
Could someone let there cows horses or goats graze it?

People fence poison ivy in with goats and they eat it
At least its edible lots of weeds aren't good for livestock
Best of luck with your health and treatments

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
Maybe was suggested already
Could someone let there cows horses or goats graze it?

People fence poison ivy in with goats and they eat it
At least its edible lots of weeds aren't good for livestock
Best of luck with your health and treatments
Hi Hort101
Yep my neighbor has about 25 head of cattle next door to me on 40plus acres. He has offered to let the livestock graze it. I'm trying to put this politely, but he is not the best neighbor. He doesn't live on the property either and just doesn't tend to things.

I have basically an ornamental fence there, like a 3 board horse fence, fine for horses etc but not 1500-2000lb steers. They constantly break through the fence to try to graze on my land, he never offers to help fix it or buy boards etc.

Plus they have damaged my vehicles, other equipment, cow patties all over my carport etc. It's just not a good fit.

I asked him for 4 years to put up an electric fence set back about 3-4 feet on his side from my wooden fence so that the cattle would stop destroying the wooden fence. He never did it until one time all of his cattle crossed to my property and he had to get about 6-7 other guys to help him and spend a few hours messing with it. Then he finally did it. But when it's one cow a week getting through for years, he couldn't be bothered.

And then, instead of getting a solar electric fence, he has the nerve to buy a 110v one that he plugged into an outlet on my property lol. He is a nice old man, but he is the type where you give him an inch and he takes a mile. I just dont' want to enter into any kind of agreement with him, he will take advantage especially if I am not there a lot like right now.

Today I have been reading a TON of publications from LSU and MIssissippi State ag/forestry publications all about herbicides. Man there is a lot to learn/know. Tons of pic of symptomology of drift onto trees etc, some from as far away as 10 miles! Crazy.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I guess just roundup it and that in conjunction with it hopefully going dormant this winter, maybe I can fabricate something to protect the bearings on the flail mower and cut it with that after it dies from the roundup. I dunno. Tired of thinking about it I guess. I don't care about weeds or further issues down the line, I just don't want to harm the live oaks and pines that I have there now, and all of the ag/forestry publications have me paranoid now.

Thanks again.

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
You need to get a loan and put up an electric fence and let the farmers cattle graze it. That would be something good. Mi
He says that he will buy and install the fencing on my land. I wouldn't have to do a thing. But I know this guy. He's a sweet old man but I would never be able to get his livestock off of my property.

I bit my tongue a few occassions in order to keep the peace between neighbors, but he is my only one and doesn't even live there. I like to be on good terms with everyone and I'm afraid that situation would change if his livestock were here. He just takes advantage of things, or tries to anyway.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
He says that he will buy and install the fencing on my land. I wouldn't have to do a thing. But I know this guy. He's a sweet old man but I would never be able to get his livestock off of my property.

I bit my tongue a few occassions in order to keep the peace between neighbors, but he is my only one and doesn't even live there. I like to be on good terms with everyone and I'm afraid that situation would change if his livestock were here. He just takes advantage of things, or tries to anyway.
People lease land all the time and pay you. If you let him graze it free he might put up a fence. what are you afraid of?

OP
G

goatchay

LawnSite Member
People lease land all the time and pay you. If you let him graze it free he might put up a fence. what are you afraid of?
Hi Ed. I guess that you would have to see the layout of my property. My house/carport/barn etc. are right smack in the middle of it. It's not ideal for livestock that weighs over a ton barging around.

They have already done so much damage in the short few hours that they get on to my land these last few years. Breaking the wooden fence for one thing. Then putting huge dents in my truck and car that I have to make claims for, this guy just shrugs his shoulders, never offers to pay my deductible at least etc.

Like I said, I am trying to remain good neighbors. I firmly believe not allowing him on the land will help that.

He usually used to ride out on an ATV to check his property, the cattle etc.He asked one time if he could come down my driveway in his truck because it was raining all week.

I said sure,meaning once. Well for the next 2 years he drove down my driveway at 5:30am every morning, not exactly what we agreed to. And then it put me in the position of having to tell him not to do it.

And that still was hard to accomplish, I had to tell him like 5 times. At first I asked him not to because my dogs followed him back onto the road. I thought that would be enough, but apparently not.

He already treats my property like his own, I can only imagine if I actually gave him permission to be there what it would be like.

Trust me, I would rather spray it an accidentally kill all of the oaks than enter into an agreement with him. We get along ok and I want to keep it that way.

Two big steers knocked my boat over because my neighbor was trying to use it as a cattle chute. He has no regard for my property, even though he comes across as a very nice guy.

One of his horses took a huge bite out of the cowling on my boat motor. Not cheap things to fix and they look like crap now.

When he doesn't have permission, he takes many liberties. I can only imagine if he has permission to have his livestock on my land what will happen.

It's juts not an option for me. I could go on for hours about this guy lol. He is a sweet old man but I'm not letting him take more advantage lol.

Thanks Ed, take care.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Hi Ed. I guess that you would have to see the layout of my property. My house/carport/barn etc. are right smack in the middle of it. It's not ideal for livestock that weighs over a ton barging around.

They have already done so much damage in the short few hours that they get on to my land these last few years. Breaking the wooden fence for one thing. Then putting huge dents in my truck and car that I have to make claims for, this guy just shrugs his shoulders, never offers to pay my deductible at least etc.

Like I said, I am trying to remain good neighbors. I firmly believe not allowing him on the land will help that.

He usually used to ride out on an ATV to check his property, the cattle etc.He asked one time if he could come down my driveway in his truck because it was raining all week.

I said sure,meaning once. Well for the next 2 years he drove down my driveway at 5:30am every morning, not exactly what we agreed to. And then it put me in the position of having to tell him not to do it.

And that still was hard to accomplish, I had to tell him like 5 times. At first I asked him not to because my dogs followed him back onto the road. I thought that would be enough, but apparently not.

He already treats my property like his own, I can only imagine if I actually gave him permission to be there what it would be like.

Trust me, I would rather spray it an accidentally kill all of the oaks than enter into an agreement with him. We get along ok and I want to keep it that way.

Two big steers knocked my boat over because my neighbor was trying to use it as a cattle chute. He has no regard for my property, even though he comes across as a very nice guy.

One of his horses took a huge bite out of the cowling on my boat motor. Not cheap things to fix and they look like crap now.

When he doesn't have permission, he takes many liberties. I can only imagine if he has permission to have his livestock on my land what will happen.

It's juts not an option for me. I could go on for hours about this guy lol. He is a sweet old man but I'm not letting him take more advantage lol.

Thanks Ed, take care.
Thanks for sharing. I thoroughly enjoyed that story, albeit it be at your discomfort. I quite literally laughed out loud at the horse biting the cowling part

Top Forums