Best maintenance outfit for lots of fast food stops, lots of highway miles.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Ijustwantausername, Jun 11, 2019.

1. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

While everybody has offered good solutions, I think parking whatever will dictate what works. Most of these fast food places won’t let you park a big rig and consume 5 parking spots. Probably think about a soft sided Sprinter with 2 levels. Equipment on lower level and trash bags on top level. Windshield time will kill you and I can tell you no work during heavy meal times 11am to 1pm, 5 to 7 pm. You probably gonna need a fleet of 1/2 ton pickups. I used to have dunkin as a customer. We only took care of properties that went bankrupt and were closed. We were always underbid for maintenance work along with multiple locations you also run into different laws, regulations, and permits and prevailing wages.

hort101 likes this.
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Lots of those trucks around here. I just don't like my tools and 2 cycle equipment exposed to the rain and the viewing thieves. Bins can be locked. Locks can be popped. Still overall a good set up

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

We do burger kings, qdobas and many other restaurants
    People posting about multiple parking spaces and no service during peak meal times clearly don’t service these properties; they’re making assumptions.
    They’re serviced all day long with trucks and trailers, not just by us by different competitors and have been since they existed.

IMO if you’re just doing that kind of a route
    48 walk behind
    21” mower
    2 cycle equipment
    Pick up truck with a set of ramps into the back of the bed
    Don’t bag the grass
    Done.

4. OP
    OP
    Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

What about theft? That’s really my final concern. It’ll get aggravating having guys lock and unlock a cable each time they grab equipment.

BrandonV and sjessen like this.
  5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I cable my stuff. Once you get muscle memory it is 2-3 seconds and becomes no big deal.

Most of the big companies have someone stay with the truck while the others have lunch just to make sure no one steals their equipment. And, they cable their handhelds also.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Cigarette BUTT explosions everywhere? Never been to a burgerking where there was not enough parking for a truck trailer, This is what Walker GHS is made for.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Another reason a box truck is nice...out of sight, out of mind.

hort101, Ridin' Green, Cam15 and 3 others like this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever driven a box truck? Or used one for work?

Wait...now you have 2 trucks? The OP is asking about what ONE truck will work best.

So now you're saying he might need 2 trucks, 1 trailer. That's 2 vehicles to license and insure and 1 trailer to license and possibly insure. Plus guys who know how to pull, back and maneuver trailers.

I never said it couldn't mulch. Try some reading comprehension.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I could find one in time, the contract starts July 1. I see a diesel FUSO with a 6x12 bed which I might pursue. Anyone spray painted everything but their mower black so they aren't as noticeable? These bright orange 600 stihl blowers sure are noticeable from 100 yards away.

BrandonV and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

No you said they don't have enough power to engage the blades, a distinction without a difference.