Best Mower Decks ???

Nrgwave

LawnSite Member
So I have been pouring over this fourm for the last 8 months reading post and looking for information and haven’t found exactly what I am looking for, so I decided to join tonight and make my first post.

Last year I purchased my dream piece of equipment, X758. The main reason was due to the versatility the tractor offered over a zero turn (mainly the snowblowers ability to power down and scrap the hard pack at the end of driveways and I am building a core arrerator to mount on the front of the quick attach for a little better soil penetration). However I am very frustrated and disappointed with the cut quality. I opted for a 48” deck to avoid scalping and to be able to fit between fence openings. The aerodynamics of the deck are horrible. I have tried Gator blades both G5 and G6 as well as the John Deere high lift and mulching blades. Regardless of the blades or cut speed it leave long patches. The deck is perfectly leveled and hung from the tractor. I am located in Wisconsin about an hour from Scag’s plant. I am tempted to purchase and fabricate a velocity plus deck and hang it from the Deere? Has anyone else tried making other decks work on a Deere?

The sad part is Deere’s biggest advantage with the tractors is the implements and versatily but with horrible cut quality and the need for double passing this erodes the value of versatility.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Welcome to lawnsite:waving:
Sounds like a nice set up im not familiar with that tractor
Maybe @Ridin' Green has a suggestion hes run alot of deere equipment

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
What height are you cutting at? Is it actual or just what the dial numbers say? A 60" doesn't scalp on a HD GT. I have ran them on several tractors and still have one. The 60" for my little CUT cuts beautifully, as did the other two I have owned just like it. Mine is the model prior to the Edge decks. Some of those Edge decks have a bad rep for QOC.

OP
Nrgwave

Nrgwave

LawnSite Member
What height are you cutting at? Is it actual or just what the dial numbers say? A 60" doesn't scalp on a HD GT. I have ran them on several tractors and still have one. The 60" for my little CUT cuts beautifully, as did the other two I have owned just like it. Mine is the model prior to the Edge decks. Some of those Edge decks have a bad rep for QOC.
It’s calibrated with the 2” gauge and I am cutting around 3.5-4” during the hot months.

OP
Nrgwave

Nrgwave

LawnSite Member
2" gauge?? Most GT decks will not cut well at any height over 3.5". They lack both the BTS and the deck depth and vacuum.
Actually it’s a 2.5” gauge. None the less we have just gone full circle as to why I made the post. These mower decks are horrible and I want to see if anyone has ever mounted a third party deck with better results?

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I don't know about your machine but if you can increase blade speed and lift it will likely help.
I bought a new Toro years ago and the cut was poor. They came out with a speed up kit which changed the main pulley size to speed up the blades. Boy did it make a difference.

Wolfgang

LawnSite Member
We use these X mowers as part of our fleet and with the standard deck and hilift blades we get a very good quality cut, we use 48's on ours as they fit everywhere a small mower need to go, only complaint would be the lack of a rear discharge deck here for those machines.

sbronemann

LawnSite Member
I previously owned an X738 with the 54HC deck. I too was not impressed with the quality of cut on that deck. Bought a Gravely ZT HD 60 and it cut much better than the Deere 54HC ever could. Fast forward to now....sold the Gravely last week and bought a 2038R with the 72D deck. It mows very nice. I didn't have it in the spring wet season so I can't compare yet, but so far-I'm very impressed with the cut quality of the 72D.

OP
Nrgwave

Nrgwave

LawnSite Member
I previously owned an X738 with the 54HC deck. I too was not impressed with the quality of cut on that deck. Bought a Gravely ZT HD 60 and it cut much better than the Deere 54HC ever could. Fast forward to now....sold the Gravely last week and bought a 2038R with the 72D deck. It mows very nice. I didn't have it in the spring wet season so I can't compare yet, but so far-I'm very impressed with the cut quality of the 72D.
I wanna keep my x758 and purchase a 2038R or 3046R but can’t decide. I would only be doing loader work and rear tilling and brush hog. They are some sweet units!