• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

best mower for a steep bank

wacaweed

LawnSite Member
Just wondering if anyone has any sugestions on what the best walk behind for steep banks are. Thanks Joe

OP
W

wacaweed

LawnSite Member
here are a few pics on what I am needing it for

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

rob b.

LawnSite Member
We have several retention ponds at a big church we do that look alot like the pictures you posted.I always do them with my Turf Tiger,slow and easy.

bobcat175

LawnSite Senior Member
I had a Bobcat 48" hydro WB that I would do all of that with...1st pic would probably be sideways due to the possibility of hitting cars if you slid down in wet cond..although it looks to flatten out the further away you go.
2 pic looks uneven at the corner of the fence...the hill on the far end with the tel pole looks really steep...so maybe not that. Do you have any local friends to borrow and try? Are you already looking at anything in particular?

OP
W

wacaweed

LawnSite Member
not really looking at anything yet so I am really open to anything

JimQ

LawnSite Bronze Member
I know this is going to sound crazy but it really works well. Keeps the operator safe to.

I used to mow steep retainment walls around large petroleum storage tanks for a pipeline. We used modified 21" push mowers. We removed the handles, put eyebolts the front and rear corners opposite the discharge side. Hooked rope to the eyes. Walked back and forth across the top of the wall. Just let a bit more rope out to move the mower down the hill for the next pass.

charmill26

LawnSite Senior Member
i'd say any dual hydro walk behind would do that fine. i mow one with my belt drive at about that slope. i just go sideways. not very comfortable but it gets it done