Best Mower For Large Town Home Community

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by P1Lawncare16, Oct 16, 2017.

1. P1Lawncare16

P1Lawncare16 LawnSite Member

I am going to be taking on a large townhome community for the 2018 season. There are 52 townhomes, and I am responsible for cutting the front lawns of all 52. There is also close to 1.5 acres of common area. I currently have a 60" turf tracer which will do great for the common areas, But I am wondering what is the best machine for cutting small town home front lawns as fast as possible.

I am looking into Maybe a 48" turf tracer or Viking. I am open to suggestions, I have a 21" Honda push mower but I think a walk behind may be the better route

Thanks everyone

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Will the 60 not fit?
    Maybe get a grass flap to keep from spraying grass where yo don’t want it

3. P1Lawncare16

It's wide to get down sidewalks and awkward in small lawns. I have a handfull of townhomes now and i push mow most of them

4. TPendagast

Male

I’d get a 36 Viking

IMO

P1Lawncare16 likes this.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Why a viking over TT a fw25 or swz-zt and and in what mode ? bagging , mulching?

6. TPendagast

Male

I don’t know his set up really
    But I’d get a regular deck Viking and a grass catcher “in case” but plan on side discharging.

Viking is light , quick and cheap
    With the exception of this one property it’s probavly going to ride on the trailer, which is where most machines get the most abuse.
    Fixed deck machines put up with trailer queen duty the best.

I mentioned exmark because it’s his brand
    I like the ferris better personally.

The TT in 48” would better for mulching than the 36 imo

Tbh
    If your going to mulch
    Then a walker b with a 42 on it and call it good
    It would transport around to all the little bitty spots faster too
    Save major time

But he was asking about wbs
    Not riders

dishboy likes this.
  7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

We have a similar property. Use 2 36” Deere walkbehinds. People still demand you push mow-we don’t. It’s just a thing around here maybe but people seem to want to make sure you’re earning your $$

P1Lawncare16 likes this.
  8. P1Lawncare16

Thanks for the input guys, yes exmark is what brand I prefer I just tend to have good luck with them. Plus I already own one exmark so another one has similar controls. The more I see and think about it a 48 Viking does sound like a good option, I will not be doing much of anything else other than cutting small properties with them, and I will like likely get a grass flap to deflect clippings when I need too.

I tend to stick with walk behinds because for the variety of lawns I do they seem to be the best all purpose machine and i deal with my fair share of steep hills. My equipment stays in an enclosed trailer and I'm a one man operation so I tend to care for my equipment.

sjessen likes this.
  9. P1Lawncare16

I have a self propel Honda but it would take forever to cut 52 front lawns with it.

10. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I had a very similar client. Had what amounted to 54 single homes and 4 acres of common area in a condo assoc. I had a 52" stander at the time and a 60" rider. The stander was far more efficient in tight spaces. Never need to worry about running in to things when turning or backing up. It took me 10 man hours a week to cut this place so speed was a factor.

P1Lawncare16 likes this.