Lawn Care Forum banner

Best Mower

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
A machete.

They don't cut quite as good as a regular mower (although they do a fair job once the operator has a little practice) but where they really shine is the price. You can't hardly get a better mower for under $10.

They never bog down in the heavy stuff either and if anything is missed, you can be sure that it is operator error and not the fault of the mower.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally i think toro is one of the best becouse the price and quality of cut and the toughness of the machine are great. And i know that some people say that scags are the thoughess but i would rather have a better cut quility than somethin that is a LITTLE tougher (but not by much) i mean are you runnin these mowers into brick walls all day..........hope not. Toros are pretty tough.
And if i recall right 3 years warranty on spindles and 2 years warranty on everything else and i like to renew stuff AT THE MOST every 2 years. Really like to about every year.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
lawnandplow42 said:
obviously scag. They are powerful, built like tanks, easy to you, dependable, and cut excellent. They blow the competition out of the water easily
Obviously that is all you have ever used.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
rodfather said:
If so, then why are they virtually non-existant in the Northeast I ask? I have NEVER seen one in 11 full time years of mowing.
Rod has a point all I see are eXmark's,Toro's,Bob Cat's & Scag's. I have seen Kubota,Hustler,Ferris,Great Dane,Wright and 1 Husqvarna WB but, out of all of that I could probably count on one hand the # of Lesco mowers I have seen.

Rob

·
Registered
143 Posts
rodfather said:
If so, then why are they virtually non-existant in the Northeast I ask? I have NEVER seen one in 11 full time years of mowing.
Good question, I can't answer that one.
Here in Knoxville they are as I said earlier, a value and very reliable. The thread states, "Best Mower Poll" which is pretty relative to ones own situation. For me, Lesco has better customer service, better prices, just as quick or quicker turn around time on repairs as the other dealers with just as reliable and efficient equipment. That's what makes Lesco mowers the best mowers for me. I must admit though, I'm not a fan of the pistol grips. Other than that :cool2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
It all seems to be more regional than anything. As I look at the different forums guys are using mowers that just aren't popular or even present here. Around here Skag is top of the line but they're way overpriced. I run Ferris and they are tough enough. The quality of cut is great and they are reasonably priced. Other brands in use here are DIxie Chopper but they are losing ground to Ferris and Exmark. Toros are also gaining ground. Skag had a foothold but seem to be pricing themselves right out of the market. In my opinion Ferris is the way to go. Same quality smaller price.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lazer_Z said:
Rod has a point all I see are eXmark's,Toro's,Bob Cat's & Scag's. I have seen Kubota,Hustler,Ferris,Great Dane,Wright and 1 Husqvarna WB but, out of all of that I could probably count on one hand the # of Lesco mowers I have seen.

Rob
In the future, I may switch to eXmark (even though the closest dealer is a headache and has slow repair times.), but for now Lesco keeps the books in the black, and the equipment rolling.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I don't know what the best mower is these days and really could care less.

For the record though, over the last 11 full time years of mowing, my company has had around 20 or so Ferris machines. Presently, we have 8 of them (52 and 61 inch Z's and WB's) along with 3, 325D Toro Grounds Masters (diesel, 4 wheel drive, 72" outfront decks), and a couple of Ariens 21" trim mowers.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Not to get off topic but,Rod how do ya like those Ariens mowers? I'm thinking of replacing a Home Depot Toro but, I don't wnat to drop $1,000 to $1,500 on a machine tha's not going to see much use and thats why I'm not looking at any of the Pro model toro's or the eXmark 21's.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Lazer_Z said:
Not to get off topic but,Rod how do ya like those Ariens mowers? I'm thinking of replacing a Home Depot Toro but, I don't wnat to drop $1,000 to $1,500 on a machine tha's not going to see much use and thats why I'm not looking at any of the Pro model toro's or the eXmark 21's.

Thanks
They work great, Rob. Start on first or second pull everytime. Very reliable and quiet. I have no complaints at all.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.