Lawn Care Forum banner

Best mower

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Krimick 
#1 ·
I run a small engine repair business & I have a good customer who does commercial gardening. He also does some lawnmowing,
although that is not his primary business. He has 2 Honda 21 " commercial mowers that I've been taking care of for him.
The problem is that the parts are so expensive, and not easy to find. I told him he should consider another brand when he replaces one this year. A new Honda commercial is $1400, and I told him that he could buy & toss 3 Deere homeowner models for that price, & they would probably last about as long as 1 commercial Honda. But I'm a mechanic, not a commercial lawn cutter. So I wonder if any of you pros have an opinion on this plan, or if you can recommend a mower that is not as pricy as the Honda, but about as durable.

#3 ·
Let's see, having to go through the aggravation of 3 Briggs engines for every 1 dependable Honda engine. Or let me put it another way. For the price of my Dixie Chopper I could have bought 7 or 8 cheapy riding tractors from K-Mart. Would I rather have 1 mower that keeps on going and going or would I rather go though the new mower to used up mower process a lot of times? I think you know the answer to this.

#6 ·
Husqvarna!!

I bought two 21" Husqvarna push behinds when I started my business for $400 (cdn) each. I have never seen a push mower that bags as well as the Husqvarna. I have used them for 3 seasons now and I would estimate each has about 800 hours of use on them. Neither one of them as ever been in the shop.

They will not last forever though. I will be replacing both of mine this season, more then likely with 2 more Husqvarnas and the 2 older ones I will keep as back-ups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.