1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Franko, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Franko

Franko LawnSite Member

I run a small engine repair business & I have a good customer who does commercial gardening. He also does some lawnmowing,
    although that is not his primary business. He has 2 Honda 21 " commercial mowers that I've been taking care of for him.
    The problem is that the parts are so expensive, and not easy to find. I told him he should consider another brand when he replaces one this year. A new Honda commercial is $1400, and I told him that he could buy & toss 3 Deere homeowner models for that price, & they would probably last about as long as 1 commercial Honda. But I'm a mechanic, not a commercial lawn cutter. So I wonder if any of you pros have an opinion on this plan, or if you can recommend a mower that is not as pricy as the Honda, but about as durable.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hello franko
    Is He still Looking For a 21":confused:
    Johnny G. :cool: :cool:

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Let's see, having to go through the aggravation of 3 Briggs engines for every 1 dependable Honda engine. Or let me put it another way. For the price of my Dixie Chopper I could have bought 7 or 8 cheapy riding tractors from K-Mart. Would I rather have 1 mower that keeps on going and going or would I rather go though the new mower to used up mower process a lot of times? I think you know the answer to this.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I would look at a Lawnboy, at least a Gold series. Hard to beat a Honda.

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

if he does lawn mowing for more then 3 lawns i would suggest a commercial mower, also depends on the size of the yards, homeowners are built for one lawn.

6. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

Husqvarna!!

I bought two 21" Husqvarna push behinds when I started my business for $400 (cdn) each. I have never seen a push mower that bags as well as the Husqvarna. I have used them for 3 seasons now and I would estimate each has about 800 hours of use on them. Neither one of them as ever been in the shop.

They will not last forever though. I will be replacing both of mine this season, more then likely with 2 more Husqvarnas and the 2 older ones I will keep as back-ups.